Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger77 W/tang safety Vs.M77 MKII >

Ruger77 W/tang safety Vs.M77 MKII

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger77 W/tang safety Vs.M77 MKII

Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Default Ruger77 W/tang safety Vs.M77 MKII

What's the difference between the older Rugers with the tang safety and the newer model M77 MKII? Are the older ones still an okay gun or should I just get the newer one? Can the new three position safety be put on the older guns?
Thanks.
Ed
Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger77 W/tang safety Vs.M77 MKII

Nothing wrong with the tang safety, I prefer it...Of course, I've had mine since 1980, so I guess I'm kinda used to it...
Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer the tang safety of rifles with regular stocks, for thumbholes the 3-position is better. Yes, the 3-position can be put on the tang models, but it isn't worth the cost.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had several of both and prefer the tang safety. I currently only own one Ruger bolt gun, and it is a "sacred cow" 1986 model M77 Ultralite in 270 that has put nearly 100 deer and MANY hogs on the ground.

Tang vs 3 position is more about personal preference than which is better.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the tang safety models so much i search them out instead of just buying a mk2 model. By the way,the tang models have adjustable triggers and mk2 don't. The tang safety naturally lies directly under thumb whereas with mk2 you have to actually release grip to manipulate safety. The oldset tang models lock the bolt as well as trigger/sear and the laters 1s don't.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would rather have the tang safety model myself. I cannot get used to that safety on the mk2 version . It's as poor design as ever put on a rifle. They should have just copied the Model 70 safety.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM

stalkingbear- Thanks for the info on the adjustable trigger, I wasn't aware of this feature on the gun. And mine must be an older one as the safety doesn't lock the bolt.
oldelkhunter- What's the difference between the 3-position safety on the Ruger and the one on the Winchester?
And thanks to all who answered.
What I gotis an M77 in .243, with a LeupoldVari-IIc,4-12x40AO. The stock has a few dings in it, but, I also do woodworking, so that's no biggie. Got the gun for $350.00. Figured the scope to be at least 200, as it looks new. Don't think I did wrong, was just wondering what others thought of the M77 vs. the MK2.
Many thanks for the responses and your time.
Ed
Old 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM

stalkingbear- Oops! I meant to say, mine must be a newer one as the safety doesn't lock the bolt.
Ed
Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ed Lacy

What's the difference between the older Rugers with the tang safety and the newer model M77 MKII? Are the older ones still an okay gun or should I just get the newer one? Can the new three position safety be put on the older guns?
Thanks.
Ed
There are more differences than just different safeties. Despite having a Mauser-like extractor, the tang-safety Model 77's are "push feed" in which the extractor does NOT grip the cartridge until the bolt is closed. Consequently, if you "short-stroke" one, you will end up with two cartridges trying to get into the chamber at the same time, which is a real jam that is aslow, PITA to clear. The Mark II's are genuine controlled-round feed rifles. This type of a jam can't happen with one of the Mk II's. However, such considerations are only of real concern in a dangerous-game rifle.

I don't think you can easily retro-fit a Mark II Ruger 3-position trigger & safety (they go together) onto the older tang safety model. However, I personally prefer the a safety that sits on the top of the tang, where it SHOULD BE! There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the older, tang-safety Model 77's. As a matter of fact, the ones made in the later 1960's and early 1970's seem to have better classic stock lines than some of the later ones, which more often closelyresemble clubs!

ALL Ruger Model 77's have proven to be VERY TOUGH and RELIABLE rifles that do well in horrible environments, like coastal Alaska or extreme cold.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eldegullo-while I agree with you on dangerous game rifles,controlled feed rifles are overhyped on regular rifles for deer/elk/etc. I've NEVER seen anybody short stroke a rifle in the field OR on the range. I don't consider push feed to be of any disadvantage on most rifles.

Quick Reply: Ruger77 W/tang safety Vs.M77 MKII

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.