Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 whats a good gun for Africa >

whats a good gun for Africa

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

whats a good gun for Africa

Old 02-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: whats a good gun for Africa

While at the Eastern Sports & Outdoor show I spoke with an outfitter from Niambia about a plains game hunt and he said anything in the 30-06 class is adequate for kudo, gembok sized game.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bobfm10350

Whats a goodrifle for up to kudu and maybe leopard sized game?
.30/'06, 7mm Rem. Mag., .280 Rem., or 7X57mm Mauser. Use premium bullets in all these calibers.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I were to go for Plains game then I would take my 300WSM and 338 RUM. The .338 simply because Eland would be at the top of my list. If no eland then .270 and 300.

If I were going for dangerous then I would purchase or have madea .375 H&H and a 458 Lott.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:26 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

bgbulls

Good for you, you seem to havecome a long way from your Colorado days.

EKM
Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thought I'd mention, maybe I'm wrong and dangerous game isn't everywhere in africa....but I suspect there's always a chance of running into something big and mean and willing to eat you. Sure the guide should have a gun/backup, but personally, he's welcome to help shoot that beast when he charges, but I'm also going to be killing a rifle that would be adequate to kill somethign big. Personally I don't see ever bringing a .270 or .30-06 to africa, smallest to me would be .300 win mag, or .340 wby mag.

My cousin a few years back went to africa and fell in love with his .375h&H, even though he had another rifle or two to use, he used his 375 on everything, and personally if a lion comes by id much rather have a .375 than a 300 win mag, and way more so than a .270. Somethign to consider.....also a 300 win mag or 338 mag on leopard sounds nice, as well as kudu

My vote would probably be for anything .300 mag-375
Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

what rifles do you own? i hunted plains game a couple years back. 7mm.30-06 are good. a 338 win mag would be sweet!. if you have to purchase a rifle for the hunt i would get something you could use here as well. a 375 h&h is great to have but you wont need it for plains game. you need to practice off shooting sticks till you become one with the sticks. i like the solid 3 pole type better than the 2 pole type sticks. good premium bullets matter. go with federal premium ammo nosler partitions and you wont have any problems. take a look at this site. it helped me alot before i went. http://www.accuratereloading.com/
Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Thought I'd mention, maybe I'm wrong and dangerous game isn't everywhere in africa....but I suspect there's always a chance of running into something big and mean and willing to eat you. Sure the guide should have a gun/backup, but personally, he's welcome to help shoot that beast when he charges, but I'm also going to be killing a rifle that would be adequate to kill somethign big. Personally I don't see ever bringing a .270 or .30-06 to africa, smallest to me would be .300 win mag, or .340 wby mag.

My cousin a few years back went to africa and fell in love with his .375h&H, even though he had another rifle or two to use, he used his 375 on everything, and personally if a lion comes by id much rather have a .375 than a 300 win mag, and way more so than a .270. Somethign to consider.....also a 300 win mag or 338 mag on leopard sounds nice, as well as kudu

My vote would probably be for anything .300 mag-375

Well the lion example would only work if you were on a lion hunt. If a lion comes by, you can't just shoot it. Its not quite like catching a trout when your bass fishing.... you very well may be able to shoot that lion... but its like grocery shopping.. you gotta pay for it! If you intend to lion hunt, then you should factor that in, and a 375 is an excellent choice. And a 375 is certainly adaquate for kudu and leopard. However, for someone who isn't planning on making Africa a yearly thing and happens to have a 30/06 already, it would be foolish to drop another $1500 on a rifle and scope that isn't practical to hunt with at home (depending on where you live and what you hunt). If you want to buy a new rifle... thats totally cool, but most folks would rather spend money acctually HUNTING than just on stuff FOR hunting.

In the case of a charge, it is very unlikely that you will be in a position to take a shot at all, unless your PH has a lot of confidence in you. Most likely with a wounded leopard, you will be sitting the truck, but no matter what your PH will be in the lead. Weapon of choice is usually a buckshot stoked shotgun for a botched leopard. You PH is there to keep you alive and unhurt.

When hunting any of the big/dangerous stuff, he will be behind you with typically at least something in the 450 class of rifle. If you happen across a lion or anything else that is not on your hunting "menu", the last thing a PH wants to do is shoot it. Avoiding a dangerous situation is his job.. keeping you and the wildlife you are not hunting safe. You can't waltz out and pot a lion like you'd shoot a coyote or a wild hog on a deer hunt.

And just as an aside... in Africa a "guide" is someone who drives a bus full of tourists on photographic "safaris" through the parks.... someone who leads you on a hunt is called a Professional Hunter, or for short... PH or your "hunter". Its an insult to call them a "guide".