Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The worst idea that sucked us all in >

The worst idea that sucked us all in

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The worst idea that sucked us all in

Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 PM
bigcountry

Default The worst idea that sucked us all in

And that is a T/C Encore. I have one. I have a 204 Ruger,270winand ML barrel. So as any gun nut, I want the ultimate accuracy. So I have the forend pillar bedded, and the hinge pin in very snug, where you have to tap it out with a brass drift. Ok, I get my accuracy. Now when I change it out with the ML barrel, I have to knock out a pin out of a rifle I have dialed in to hit groundhogs 300 yards out. Oh yea, its just great to tap a hammer on a precision rifle.[:'(] Now when you put your barrel back on, you have little confidense that you can hit your same POI out to 300 yards. It should be darn close, but not what I am looking for.

I got sucked in hook line and sinker. And came to the conclusion, if you want a ML, buy a ML, if you want a rifle, buy a rifle.

The way I came to this conclusion was tonight I was considering buying another action for my ML.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The worst idea that sucked us all in

haha. this is what I've been saying to everyone since I've seen those commercials! I put a post up about it on the muzzleloader section, I don't want 1 gun to do it all, I'd buy another gun. Particularly, I want a shotgun for a shotgun, a rifle for a rifle, and a ML for a ML. This applies to cartridges as well. I'd rather have 3-5 solid calibers rifles, than just a .30-06 to do it all. How many guys own 1 rifle and hunt often with it? I think most active big game hunters own a few rifles or more. and many non rifle guys have that 30-30 passeddown, or that .22lr.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you a bit, but not wholy. I will admit TC did an incredible marketing job. However I really do like myLH Thumbhole 30-06. I definitely is not the most accurate rifle I own. But it really is a fast handling rifle that fits me very well. And it is definitely accurate enough for my hunting needs.

IMO the worst idea we all got sucked into was the 17HMR. It has absolutely no advantages over the 22 magnum, yet they sure sold the heck out of it. Tom.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell Big at least you got accuracy out of yours. My 7mm-08 barrel and cracked up stock are sitting wrapped up here on the side desk going to the PO tomorrow. I'd send them the whole damn thing but I have a turkey barrel on the way in for the fiancee to plug a thunder chicken with.

I love the gun.... but mine doesn't shoot. Even with handloads it won't get under 2".
Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Hell Big at least you got accuracy out of yours. My 7mm-08 barrel and cracked up stock are sitting wrapped up here on the side desk going to the PO tomorrow. I'd send them the whole damn thing but I have a turkey barrel on the way in for the fiancee to plug a thunder chicken with.

I love the gun.... but mine doesn't shoot. Even with handloads it won't get under 2".
Well, yea, sounds like it could be worse. I just had to dump like 200 dollars extra to get mine to shoot.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I did get taken into the flexibility on changing barrels and thought it would be a good idea ,but got rid of mine before putting any money into it and glad I did. I have also come to that conclusion , buy that one firearm and forget about multitasking...
Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never bought into the hype...I had a single shot (.410 shotgun) when I was a kid...Down here on many occasions, I've killed 2 deer out of a herd, didn't want to be messing around reloading when the time came...

In fact, I don't really view hammer guns as being very safe...I've had 2 accidential discharges in over 40 years of shooting, one with that .410 while easing the hammer down after I missed a shot opportunity and the other was with a flintlock after knapping the flint with no prime in the pan....
Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that there are draw backs to the Encore but it wasn't meant for guys like you and me.

Case and point. I was at the shooting range just before hunting season. There is guy sitting next to me with his buddy and kids. They were high five-ing each other and claiming that the guys shooting was amazing.I scanned his target with my scope. If the guy wasn't shooting 4" at 100 yards he was 5".

Minute of deer.

Tom
Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Same frame for a 22 as a mag? Never made sense to me.
Not fond of hammers either.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

In fact, I don't really view hammer guns as being very safe...
I never thought about this problem until I got my T/C and read the manual and bought my hammer spur. It was well indicated about the caution required in the instructions...

Quick Reply: The worst idea that sucked us all in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.