Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Safetys for Browning A-Bolts >

Safetys for Browning A-Bolts

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Safetys for Browning A-Bolts

Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Safetys for Browning A-Bolts

I love my Browning A-Bolt, except for one thing, you can't open ( work ) the bolt unless you take the safety off. Is there anyway to make it a 3-stage safety????

I would like to buy my young son the youth model, but this one issue has me a little concerned.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Safetys for Browning A-Bolts

I love my Browning A-Bolt, except for one thing, you can't open ( work ) the bolt unless you take the safety off. Is there anyway to make it a 3-stage safety????

I would like to buy my young son the youth model, but this one issue has me a little concerned.
Thanks!

Sure there is a fix buy the new X bolt . I don't know why the Abolt issue is an issue to you, please clarify thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I do with all my a-bolts is simply remove pin that locks into bolt,and rod that goes up into striker. The rifle is still perfectly safe when on safety,and then you can open bolt while on safe. It's a free fix.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is that much of a worry for you get him another brand.
There are important things he need to know that are the same on all guns, KEEP YOUR FINGER OUT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD until ready to shoot, KEEP THE RIFLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION

Don't blame a rifle for lack of safe handling
Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with hair trigger,if you depend on the mechanical safety to much an accident could happen,good gun handling practices are far more important.I have a savage 110 and it's the same way you just have to use extra care when chambering a round.If you are not set on a browning,remington and ruger both have safety's that can remain on during bolt cycling and would be a safer choice for a youngster or the fix it solution,I have only owned one browning it was an older A-bolt and I don't remember this problem but I have owned many guns since then.Hope you find a safe solution and keep that kid hunting.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

there is a wayif I understand what youre asking. maybe I don't that lil red button poked out like? if you put the safety on, and squeez eht trigger and work the bolt, will bring that pin back in. Id call it the cocking mechanism? its cocked when its out, to get it back in, without firing, and saftey on, squeeze the trigger, and work the bolt. not sure this is your question but one way to take care of a diff problem perhaps?

PS not sure what the worry is about working the bolt with the saftey off? ie you're shooting/working it? unloading maybe? teach him good gun skills and you won't have a worry, don't work the bolt when pointed at yourself or anyone else. no worries.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the replys. What I want to do is be able to open the bolt without having to take the safety off.
Several other manufacturers make their guns this way. I just think it's a lot safer to unload a gun without having to take the safety off!
Forunately someone sent me a pm to accomplish what I was looking for. It's is a simple procedure that only took 20 minutes to remedy!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

welll do tell the rest of us the remedy? or at least me....?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a very simple solution to remove pin that locks bolt and the rod that goes up into striker. The safety will still lock all movement of trigger/sear but then you'll be able to work bolt with safety on.