Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope Power vs Distance >

Scope Power vs Distance

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope Power vs Distance

Old 02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scope Power vs Distance

In my last post ".30-.30 accuracy" someone suggested increasing the variable scope power (3-9) to 9x when sighting in at 100 yards. With every rifle I own, I always use 4x for every 100 yards. So when shooting 200 yards I crank it up to 8X, 300 yards to 12x, and 350 to 14x. This way my target isrelativelythe same size regardless of distance.

This also sets general guidlines for shooting distances for each of my rifles. While my .300 WSM is capible of more than 350 yard shots, I'm not. I need more practice.

How do you use your variable power scopes?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope Power vs Distance

deer hunting, my scope is almost always on 3x. even on my 100-150yd shot it was on 3x. like to have the 3-9 incase i get the time and CAN crank it up. on the bench, i shoot it on 9x..then take some shots at different powers to make sure the crosshairs dont move(had a scope that DID move the crosshairs when i adjusted the power!..JUNK!) most of my deer shots are 20-50yds and often times quick shooting..if they stop, its for a second and thats when the gun barks.

now, when im out there groundhog hunting, im always changing my scope power. usually leave it on 6x till i find a target...then i will get on the target on 6x and crank er up to 18x and put the bullet between his eyeballs

i dont care what size the critter looks like in a scope. im not shooting AT the critter...im shooting at a SPOT on the critter..the spot i want the bullet to hit. i dont use my scope to get a feel for range...i use my eyes and best judgement or a range finder to figure out my range.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found for now using 10 or 12 power worked well at 100 yards without showing to much movement when holding on target...
Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always crank the scope up to max powerfor sighting in purposes. I like the POI exactly where it's supposed to be after chronographingfinished hunting loadsand having it match the load tables.For hunting i leave it at the lowest setting and if necessary increase the power.I do offhand practice with it set to a low or interim range and usually no more.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I always crank the scope up to max powerfor sighting in purposes. I like the POI exactly where it's supposed to be after chronographingfinished hunting loadsand having it match the load tables.For hunting i leave it at the lowest setting and if necessary increase the power.I do offhand practice with it set to a low or interim range and usually no more.
+1.

I like to shoot 1/3 or ½ box of centerfire offhand during a range trip. However, I'll do 2 to 3 boxes (of 50) offhand with my .22lr. That rifle's got a 4x32 on it, so I've found that trying to shoot my CF rifles offhand with the scope dialed above 4x just doesn't feel right. Plus, "my minute-of-elk" offhand shooting seems to fall-off drastically when I get out to 150 yards, so I don't reallyneed to have it cranked up much higher for offhand shooting.

At the bench, though, 9x is handy.

FC
Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

at any range for sighting in a rifle, I use max power, that's what its there for, I wan't the best groups possible, 2x at 100yds IMO is tougher to sight in than say 9x at that same range, I can keep the crosshairs deadon vs. lower power, works for me, get great groups. When in field stalking, the scope is cranked down case something jumps up, but if it's far away and I hav etime I crank it up. I've heard that anything over 10x is tough to hold offhand, hence most binoculars are maxed at 10x and even 8x easier to hold, I have 10x, maybe I should get some 8x ive noticed looking through binos all day gives me a headache, maybe 8X will be less eye strain. then when i need to know pts/size ill just put the scope on him.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

max power when sighting in.. I back down to about 5 when hunting..