Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifled Slug shotguns >

Rifled Slug shotguns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled Slug shotguns

Old 02-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Rifled Slug shotguns

What is available in a decent but not outlandish priced 12 Ga Pump shotgun with a rifles slug barrel. I am no expert on shotguns. I have a Browning BPS stalker field gun but I have not seen a rifles slug barrel for it.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 AM

Default RE: Rifled Slug shotguns

You cant go wrong with a Mossberg or a Remington. You should be able to get a combo in either of them for around$350-$400.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hastings makes a rifled slug barrel for the BPS. My buddy put one on his. It's very accurate.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:08 AM

I would get a barrel for your BPS, they are available from Browing and aftermarket sources. They have a better twist rate than most other pump slug guns anyway.

Paul
Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys I will check out the After market barrel. If they are to high I will check out the Mossberg and Remington. It's not something I will use a lot but I want it for camping Bear defense in places where Handguns are not legal or not worth the legal hassel.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like its time to get a Marlin 45/70 guide gun!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I ran into a absolutely pristine 870 wingmaster with the 18 1/2 inch smoothbore slug barrel for 275 at my local dealer. I can't imagine anything better for home intrusion prevention purposes.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Sounds like its time to get a Marlin 45/70 guide gun!
I like my .444 Marlin for that, but I heard the 45/70 is better for hand loaders. Me, I don't hand load. If I'm in a face to face Bear type situation, 12 ga. 3" MAG slug is my first choice all day.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a new Marlin Cowboy but thats got a lot of barrel for close quarters. I might try the three ball Dixie slugs if I stick to a non rifles barrel but will shoot the Terminator if I get a rifles barrel. My BPS is the Stalker with the 24 inch field barrel. I have a extra full Turkey chock for it as well.

Are their any heavy slugs designed for smooth bores. If so, what choke works best as a rule?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

I have a new Marlin Cowboy but thats got a lot of barrel for close quarters. I might try the three ball Dixie slugs if I stick to a non rifles barrel but will shoot the Terminator if I get a rifles barrel. My BPS is the Stalker with the 24 inch field barrel. I have a extra full Turkey chock for it as well.

Are their any heavy slugs designed for smooth bores. If so, what choke works best as a rule?
as a rule for me undersized slugs fly a little better with a bit of a choke, but what you are asking for is Bear Defense, and that would be the "heaviest slug" I could get. Check out Deltaforce.com's slug lineup for that.

Quick Reply: Rifled Slug shotguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.