HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Rifled Slug shotguns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/232882-rifled-slug-shotguns.html)

James B 02-16-2008 10:05 PM

Rifled Slug shotguns

What is available in a decent but not outlandish priced 12 Ga Pump shotgun with a rifles slug barrel. I am no expert on shotguns. I have a Browning BPS stalker field gun but I have not seen a rifles slug barrel for it.

Retaks 02-17-2008 05:13 AM

RE: Rifled Slug shotguns

You cant go wrong with a Mossberg or a Remington. You should be able to get a combo in either of them for around$350-$400.

Wingbone 02-17-2008 05:41 AM

Hastings makes a rifled slug barrel for the BPS. My buddy put one on his. It's very accurate.

Paul L Mohr 02-17-2008 07:08 AM

I would get a barrel for your BPS, they are available from Browing and aftermarket sources. They have a better twist rate than most other pump slug guns anyway.

Paul

James B 02-17-2008 08:13 PM

Thanks guys I will check out the After market barrel. If they are to high I will check out the Mossberg and Remington. It's not something I will use a lot but I want it for camping Bear defense in places where Handguns are not legal or not worth the legal hassel.

Rammer 02-18-2008 02:20 PM

Sounds like its time to get a Marlin 45/70 guide gun! :D

oldelkhunter 02-18-2008 02:44 PM

I ran into a absolutely pristine 870 wingmaster with the 18 1/2 inch smoothbore slug barrel for 275 at my local dealer. I can't imagine anything better for home intrusion prevention purposes.

octafoil 02-18-2008 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Sounds like its time to get a Marlin 45/70 guide gun! :D
I like my .444 Marlin for that, but I heard the 45/70 is better for hand loaders. Me, I don't hand load. If I'm in a face to face Bear type situation, 12 ga. 3" MAG slug is my first choice all day.

James B 02-18-2008 04:02 PM

I have a new Marlin Cowboy but thats got a lot of barrel for close quarters. I might try the three ball Dixie slugs if I stick to a non rifles barrel but will shoot the Terminator if I get a rifles barrel. My BPS is the Stalker with the 24 inch field barrel. I have a extra full Turkey chock for it as well.

Are their any heavy slugs designed for smooth bores. If so, what choke works best as a rule?

octafoil 02-18-2008 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

I have a new Marlin Cowboy but thats got a lot of barrel for close quarters. I might try the three ball Dixie slugs if I stick to a non rifles barrel but will shoot the Terminator if I get a rifles barrel. My BPS is the Stalker with the 24 inch field barrel. I have a extra full Turkey chock for it as well.

Are their any heavy slugs designed for smooth bores. If so, what choke works best as a rule?
as a rule for me undersized slugs fly a little better with a bit of a choke, but what you are asking for is Bear Defense, and that would be the "heaviest slug" I could get. Check out Deltaforce.com's slug lineup for that.