Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug gun

Old 02-12-2003, 08:39 PM

Default RE: slug gun

By hance do yo know how much more does it cost to get the deluxe version?
Old 02-12-2003, 08:42 PM

Wait a minute i" groups at 100 yards!?!??!?!?!?!?!?! thats unbelieveable!!!! i didnt think a slug could be that accurate. how may shot are you considering a group? 3?
Old 02-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

High Country UF,

Really it is not all that uncommon with my H&R Ultra Slug gun on a calm day for a three shot group.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:12 PM

im defenetly gunna get the H&R ultra-slug, slug gun. i wont have the money for another month tho... but that will give me time to price it at diffrent places. ae there any websites that have the price my local sporting goods store wants $260 for th deluxe model and $235 for the normal, think i can get a better price on the internet?
Old 02-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn' t see any on Gunbroker.com auctions. The prices you were quoted don' t sound outrageous.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I once had an Ithaca Deerslayer with 20" barrel (smoothbore), and with one particular lot of Remington Foster-type slugs, it would shoot 3" three-shot groups @ 100 yards. But, I have three round-ball muzzleloaders that shoot 1" or less (5 shots) @ 100yards...but only on a calm day! Are slug shotguns more accurate than muzzleloaders?? Not if you have a well-made muzzleloader, and are firing the right bullets with the correct powder charge in it!!
Old 02-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

I picked up a NEF Survivor in Heavy Varmit Barreled .223 Rem for under $200. It has a synthetic thumbhole stock and forend. Sent it in this past spring and had the Ultra Slug 20 gauge barrel fitted for $95, that included return shipping charges and a new forend to fit the barrel. Topped it with an older, but never used camo rubber-armored Simmons 4x40 Tele-View scope. With Winchester BRI Sabots I can hold a 2" group at 100 yards off-hand. Wouldn' t try shots much over 140-150 yards as the groups begin opening up aroung 125-130 to 4-5" . Going to try Win' s Partition Gold Sabots this summer, along with Lightfield' s, just for comparison.

Took my first shotgun whitetail this past season with it, A 3.5 year old 7-point. I was really impressed at the gun/slug combo' s performance on this buck.

H&R was renamed New England Firearms, and NEF is now part of the Marlin family. Check out each companies website, there are links in both ways.

As far as comparison to muzzleloaders, that' s difficult. My Savage 10MLIISS sends a 300 gr., .452 cal Hornady XTP into 1.5" groups at 200 yards and still carries nearly a ton of KE at that point. I' ve target shot it out to 400 yards and from a solid rest it will consistently print 5" groups.

My Frontier Carbine hammerlock, I wouldn' t try a shot over 100 yards with it. But then again we' re sorta comparing apples and oranges here.

Old 02-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely agree that in most cases a muzzle loader will shoot more accurately than a slug gun. My favorite is the Thompson Center Encore 209 X 50 Magnum. With the right load they are scarey accurate.

However the right slug gun combination will group very respectfully also. The most inexpensive one that I have come across is the H&R Ultra Slug. The triggers aren' t very good but if I do my part it will shoot " lights out."

Besides when I get tired of the ole Ultra Slugger because of its heft, I can use it in any number of other areas...pry bar, driving in fence posts, wagon tongue, pipe wrench extension, axle, drive shaft,.....the possibilities are almost endless.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my old CVA 50 cal muzzleloader would shoot better than my mossberg by about 1" at 100 yards. BUT, I' ve almost always had some problems with hunting in the rain with it, and bullets were more expencive. Also I have always tried to make the first shot count, but sometimes stuff goes wrong and you better be able to back up the first shot with another one. A shotgun makes this quick and easy. A muzzleloader takes a few more seconds even with speed loads.

I loved hunting with my muzzleloader, but a single shot 12ga slug gun with rifled barrel will serve you much better I think. You can also get different barrels for the H&R, but you can' t do that with most muzzleloaders.

Quick Reply: slug gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.