Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug gun

Old 02-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: slug gun

1950 - I will try those 3" Federal sabots and see what happens. A little loss in knockdown I think and more $$$ (compared to my Brenneke 3" Gold Mags), but hey, I may learn a thing or two. Can' t be afraid of learning.

High Country - Deluxe is like $35 or $40 more than " standard" . Deluxe gets you the laminated camo finish and checkered stocks, along with a como pattern sling.

Any slight savings you may find on E-Bay would probobly be eaten up by whatever your local gun shop would charge for a receiving fee.

Here is the only drawback I ever found and my solution. THE FRONT SLING SWIVEL is just in the wrong place. It' s gotta be there somewhere but it is in the way. If you rest your finger right against it, it will give ya some hurt on firing.

SOLUTION: I took the front swivel mount off entirely. Adjusted my sling to fit snugly over the barrel and threaded it over the barrel. The sling is adjusted so that it will only slide on/off the barrel when the gun is fully broke open....worked out great.

1" groups aren' t really any kind of a big deal shooting this slug gun from a bench, really, nothing special. It' s a shooter! One needs to believe to achieve.

G-Force - $95.00 for a slug barrel?!?! That' s great! That' s also the cheapest slug barrel I' ve ever heard of, let alone a bull barrel! QUESTION: Did it also come with the scope mounting rail? I wonder if I can get regular barrels to go on the Ultra Slug " receivers" ?

In closing I gotta LOL! at Antler Eater, if ya only wounded a deer with your last slug, you could definately finish em off with that 8-9 pounds of Ultra Slug Hunter............WACK! WACK! WACK![X(]
Old 02-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see slug guns and muzzleloaders as about equivalent.....and the muzzleloaders are almost always single shots....think about that.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there are any big gun shows in your area, you might be able to pick up a 12 guage H&R slug gun at a really good price. I see guys selling used ones every once in a while. A lot of people don' t like gun shows, but I have found some great deals from individuals walking around with something to sell.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:45 PM

The H&R ultra slugger is " THE GUN." I wouldn' t trade it for anything. It will shoot 1 inch groups only if you experiment and find the ammo that it likes. I went through a little over a $100.00 of ammo from different manufacturers before I found the one that my gun liked. I tried winchester super x BRI sabots and remington premier copper solid slugs. Neither grouped better than 2-3 inches at 100 yards. I switched to federal premiums and it was on. It even made a difference with the federals if I used the silver brass or gold brass round. The silver were more accurate than the gold brass round. So when I buy rounds I have to open the boxes and check the color of the brass. This gun will not fail you if you do your part.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:29 PM

man i got lucky i called the gun shop in the next city (about 10 minutes away) and they carry the ultra slug hunter 12 ga. for only 189.95!!! i acn' t wait until i get paid in about a month that gun is gunna be so awsome!!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

uncle matt - Yes, the Ultra Slugster heavy barrel is only available w/ scope rail.

http://www.hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm

This link will give you info on barrel availability.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Picked up another Ultra Slug yesterday! $195.00 + $4.50 for background check phone call + tax was $212.00!

20 gauge, standard (non-deluxe). None were in stock so he called his suppliers and said he couldn' t find one for me. Turned out he was looking for 12 gauges! Getting a 20 was no problem, just no access to a 12 that day. Thought that was a little weird. But he said it could change in the computer in a day!

My oldest boy is gonna be a happy guy!

The shop also had a laminated camo single shot regular 12 gauge for $95.00. Damn nice looking gun. My favorite old Stevens 94 is gettin a little worn. So I
thinking.......................................... ...............

Hey $95.00!

Can' t wait to mount that Simmons 4X and shoot about $75.00 of ammo!
Old 02-19-2003, 03:28 PM
bigcountry

Remember fellas, that slug gun is about the heaviest gun out there. Is is really worth it to have to carry that big sucker just for 1" or so tigher groups maybe? These days I go for lightness. As long as I get 3" or under, it has to be light.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry, I see your point. To me it would depend on the type of hunting that you do. If your pushing deer or any type of hunting where there is a lot of ground to cover, than your right, another slug gun would more than likely serve you better.

On the other hand if your going to a blind or spot where you will be sitting waiting for the deer to come to you, then I think this weapon is an undeniable asset, especially if the shots are around that 100 yard marker.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:24 AM
bigcountry

Even in a blind, a heavy gun is a pain, trying to stay alert at all times. But the asset within just shooting a 100yards. Your not gaining any. I mean, I see these monster heavy slug guns getting good groups, but not much better than even my cheap ole 870, or my browing gold. If you could improve the BC of a slug up to .2 or so, maybe the benefit would come because your shooting flatter and maybe up to 200 yards. Just don' t see the benefit. Shoot what you guys like. I mean they are not that expensive. Just before forking over your hard earned cash, thought you might want to think a little.

Quick Reply: slug gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.