Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Having trouble with 11-87 firing >

Having trouble with 11-87 firing

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Having trouble with 11-87 firing

Old 02-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Having trouble with 11-87 firing

Been having a lot of dry fires out of my 11-87 lately. I've cleaned it 4 timessince the begining of the year. So i know that its not dirty. Just took it out to the gun range3 weeks ago to sight in chokes for buckshot and it shot fine. Now the last 2 weeks its dry fired around 20 shells. I've taken the hole bolt and firing pin apart and cant find anything wrong. Any ideas??? All are welcome.....
Old 02-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Having trouble with 11-87 firing

by dry firing i assume you mean misfiring, pulling the trigger and no bang...are the primers dimpled? meaning there is a mark where the firing pin hit but the shells did not go off? If so you might have a weak firing pin. Could it be that the ammo is just bad? Like it got soaking wet or its really old or something? Either way i'd just bring it to a gunsmith.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 PM

I've tried diffent types of ammo/makers. It does it on all of them. It leaves a little dimple on the primer. A lot of times ill throw that shell back in to test it and it will fire the second go around but ive had it up to four hits on the primer before it fires. I tried calling remington today and they had no ideas....they said take it to a gunsmith. A lot of help they were!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Sounds like a weak firing pin. I always release the pressure on the firing pin springs when i put a gun away for a whyle.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Not to stick up for Remington, but they are right with the answer they gave you!, its not in their lap to look at so they dont feel comfortable giveing you an answer. With that being said, some things you can look at; check your gas system, if the action bars dont go all the way home the hammer strikes the back side of the bolt befor it can hit the fireing pin causing the light strike, Ive seen in the past the wrong o-ring installed, to big and bindingin the barrel sleeve,gas ring and sealbinding on the mag tube, and the gas ring and seal installed backwards. Its not a definate answer, but its a place to start.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Take your bolt and firing pin out again. Clean and degrease thoroughly again. Do not apply oil or grease to your firing pin. I've seen countless misfires in cold weather from oil on a pin. Roll the firing pin across a flat surface looking for straightness. Feel entire pin for burrs, mushrooming, etc. Same for the hole in your bolt breech face. While you're at it replace the firing pin spring. With the bolt and pin assembled, push firing pin in an out feeling for any resistance.

With your trigger assembly out, degrease it thoroughly with something like Gun Scrubber. While holding the trigger back (to prevent sear engagement) push hammer back and forth with other thumb feeling for any resistance, binding, or gritty feel. On a gun that I am going to be using frequently and therefore cleaning frequently I do not use any oil in the trigger or hammer assembly.

In addition to what devil dog said about the gas system, check the notch at the right rear of your chamber that the extractor fits into. See that it is free of crud, which can prevent your bolt from closing completely.

If you are shooting in cold weather I would say you probably have an excessive oil build up in these areas. In warmer weather, replace firing pin spring and look for mechanical resistance slowing your hammer or pin down.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah I would agree with Remington on this one. Stuff involving the gun safely going off should be left to the professionals, hopefully it is a simple fix
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Spike

I've had problems with an 1100 and a Charles Daly doing the same thing. On the 1100, I screwed up putting it back together and it wouldn't fire. Soon as I took everything apart again, I saw what I'd done wrong and it worked fine from then on. My Daly, it just has an attitude and won't shoot Remington ammo.