Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dry Firing?

Old 07-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Dry Firing?

Not sure if these are dumb questions or not........but here goes.

What firearms if any is it safe for the firing mechanism to be fired on an empty chamber? You know........when you hand over your pet rifle and the guy wants to feel the trigger pull etc.
Is it better to have an empty hull on hand to slip into the chamber for this?

Also should a rifle/shotgun/inline be stored with the gun cocked or fired? Does it really matter.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:10 AM

Default RE: Dry Firing?

thats a real good question matt, and dont know the answer for sure, but try like
heck to avoid dry firing as much as posible, its funny how when you hand over
one of your toys to somebody, they allways have to work the actoin[]
Old 07-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

most " modern" firearms can be dry fired. But I try real hard to never dry fire anything (especially .22 rimfires).

I got some " SNAP CAPS" though. They are a clear plastic shaped like a shell and have a spring loaded " primer" pad that takes the hammers energy.

They are cheap and will let you feel the trigger.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

It is okay to dry fire center fire rifles, but NEVER dry fire rim fire rifles.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that idea that dry firing a centerfire rifle will harm it in any way is a myth, especially on modern firearms. I dry fire all of my rifles more than I actually shoot them, I' ve only seen one rifle damaged by it- an elcheapo mauser 98 clone made by a communist bloc nation with poor metal quality- the shoulders of the firing pin were pinged back after dry firing only a few times. If you have a Modern Remington, Winchester, Ruger, etc, snap away- I' d be shocked if you ever had a problem. Its true that some .22' s should never be dry fired- but your owners manual should clarify whether or not you should do that.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can dry-fire Mausers to your heart' s content; they are designed so they can be used like that for training purposes. The ' 03 Springield is more prone to striker breakage if dry-fired a lot, but the striker is built so the tip can be changed very easily. The M1-M14 family is NOT damaged by dry-firing; the Manual of Arms for both INCLUDE dropping the hammer when the bolt has been closed, by pulling the trigger on an empty chamber. Also, the Ruger No. 1' s can be dry-fired with impunity. I don' t know about M70' s, M77' s, and M700' s.

NEVER dry-fire double shotguns, double rifles or old-time side-hammer single-shots or muzzleloaders!!
Old 07-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, Store your rifles and shotguns uncocked.To uncock a Bolt Action AFTER making sure the rifle is unloaded. As you start to close the bolt hold the trigger squeezed while you close the bolt.I don' t like to dry fire any guns. Especially rimfires.The modern wheelguns with the transfer bar are safe to dry fire but I still try not to.Those snap caps mentioned are a good idea if you want to practice squeezing your trigger.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 07-12-2003, 07:26 PM

If a gun is of good and proper design then dry fireing will not hurt it. If dryfiring hurts your gun then you have a hunk of junk and would be best off selling it. The reason for saying that dry firing is bad goes years back when hard tempering meant brittle, and to cap locks. With a cap lock you will beat the hammer all to hell with dry firing and also the nipple. With early center fires the firing pin tended to be brittle. With a modern rifle help your self it is a good way to practice. A good rim fire the firing pin should not touch the barrel when in the fired position. On the cheeper guns this is not always the case and hence the tabboo of dry firing a rim fire. Again, if the rifle is of proper design then you are all right, if not sell it you do not need it and get a good gun.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:55 PM

I like to have all my firearms uncocked....May ruin the firing pin spring if it always stays cocked.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Dry Firing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.