Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby stock shape vs Remington >

Weatherby stock shape vs Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby stock shape vs Remington

Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weatherby stock shape vs Remington

they are two drastically different designs but I dont know the reasoning behind the design of either. Can anybody tell me what the benefits are to either style? Does one handle recoil better?

This is assuming the massesare equal in both stocks.

Weatherby style

Remington Style
Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Weatherby stock shape vs Remington

In theory, Roy Weatherby designed his stocks to transfer recoil in a more reaward direction, and so they wouldn't hit the shooter in the face under heavy recoil. I would agree, as that would seem to be the case with mine. Some do not agree, and I think it still has a lot to do with propper hold. I have several Remington 700s, and while I real like the feel of their stocks, my old 700 BDL 30 06, is one of the hardest recoiling rifles I own. It is one of the old ones with the walnut stock and plastic butt plate. I have an ADL from the same period (1970s) with a limbsaver pad that is a *****cat to shoot. Techically they are the same rifle with the BDL having a little fancier stock. I have a mark 5 in .300wby, and a vangaurd in 7mm rem, and in my opinion, neither is painful to shoot. I have never fired a weatherby caliber in a any other rifle though.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the Weatherby stock is of Bell and Carlson production, than that is kind of your answer as to which is better made. Of course, the price difference is reflective of that as well.

Weatherby's design, vs that of Remington is sort of apples oranges, because they are so different... but we are still talking about fruit here, and they are designed for the same purpose, but to different ends. As written, Weatherby designed his to direct recoil away from the face. More than a few shooters have been "scoped" by a Weatherby magnum. I think they are very comfortable to shoulder and put the shooter in a good position. My opinion, all depends on who is holding the rifle.

The Remington design is sort of a hodge-podge of several designs. Its part Monte Carlo, part straight, part German-esque. Straight stocks tend to help "manage" recoil the best, because they spread it out evenly. Recoil is more straight back, but it still doesn't tend to hit the face as bad as a standard monte Carlo, which in my opinion are some of the most evil. The cheek rest tends to seem to want to push the rifle away from the shooters face a bit. All depends on the rifle and the shooter as always.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

The Weatherby is patterned after an old European design. Look at the CZ Lux and you'll see what I mean. That's a very old design that goes back to the very first rifle scopes on high powered rifles. It's purpose is to provide 'cheek weld' or 'wood on wood' so ya dont get'scope ringed' over the eye.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the good information and insight guys!