Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What Do You Use A 410 for? >

What Do You Use A 410 for?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What Do You Use A 410 for?

Old 02-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Do You Use A 410 for?

Its about the only thing I know of that makes marsh hen hunting challenging... but something tells me there is a serious shortage of marsh hens in Colorodo.

Its useful for missing doves as well. Does make a good squirrel/rabbit gun... but hell the shells cost $12 a box.

Its not overwhelmingly great for a kid to get started on either. They are good for shooting at a can or paper target to gain confidence, but by and large you'll be 10xs as successfull with a 20 gauge.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bunnies Bunnies Bunnies....Find me a scope mount for my 410 Mossberg Pump..???? I want to play around with it with slugs and the bird barrel...I know guys are getting scopes on these but I can't find the right set-up....I have a 50 yard shot SPOT here in Howell , MI and I think it would be cool to smoke a doe on vid. with the little 410...
Old 02-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Its about the only thing I know of that makes marsh hen hunting challenging... but something tells me there is a serious shortage of marsh hens in Colorodo.

Its useful for missing doves as well. Does make a good squirrel/rabbit gun... but hell the shells cost $12 a box.

Its not overwhelmingly great for a kid to get started on either. They are good for shooting at a can or paper target to gain confidence, but by and large you'll be 10xs as successfull with a 20 gauge.
Swamp Collie is right about not buying one for a kid's first shotgun. They are best left in the hands of the more experienced hunter who knows and understands their useful range and capabilities. I was given one when I started to hunt and got frustrated a lot by it. Yes, I killed squirrels with it, but I also had a lot get away, probably to die in a nest or hole. Give a kid a 20 ga. single and he'll do a lot better
I DO have a 410 single that I keep out in the garage for snakes in the yard and garbage bag picking crows,but that's all I use it for. They have their place, but IMO it's not in the hands of a bright-eyed enthusiastic young hunter. Good pest gun.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

You can use it for pissing off grizzly bears!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:26 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Young first time children is the primary use IMHO.... I know I couldn't wait to get away from mine --- bolt action Stevens POS.

And the halibut thing sounds plausable.... I'd never seen a "fish bat" until we fished for King Salmon off of Sitka in Alaska and Halibut get much bigger than Kings, so the leetle shotgun thing could be an angle.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 AM

I don't own, or use a .410, though if I were going to it would be as stated above, tree rats and bunnies. For the time being though, both of those are dispatched with the trusty .22 LR.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

Your Sons first gun? Keep it for him. I have my first gun that I got in 1966 when I was 11, it's a .410 single shot. I'm glad I have it. He will be too.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

feral cats
Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 AM

All of the above, I love .410s and have 10, 8 singles, and two doubles. As stated above they really aren't for beginers. I use them for rabbits mostly, but if you want to make quail, or pheasant a real challenge, the .410 is the deal. I had an uncle that owned only one gun, a model 20 Winchester single shot .410, he used it for rabbit, squirrel, and pheasant. When he and my dad used to hunt together, my dad always used a .410, just to keep things even. Both of these guys fed their families at one point, by hunting. I think they are just fun little guns. Used to be, you could pick them up cheap at farm sales and such, now they are gaining in collectabilty, and are getting pricey.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's all my gunsmith frienduses on Quail in a Remington 1100.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.