Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opinions of the Weatherby Vanguard >

Opinions of the Weatherby Vanguard

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions of the Weatherby Vanguard

Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opinions of the Weatherby Vanguard

I had my mind made up that I was going to buy an AR-15 this year but I have fouunda WeatherbyVanguard chambered in .30-06thathas caught my eye. It has the blued barrel and action buthas a tan and black "spider web" synthetic stock. I already have a bolt action 30-06 but I figure it would probably be a more sensible choice than an AR.I can get the Vanguard plus an excellent scope for what I would pay for an AR. Any thoughts or opinions on the Vanguards?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Default RE: Opinions of the Weatherby Vanguard

They are decent rifle from what ive herd. 1.5 MOA guarantee. There arent many other companies that give you that.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

had a ss 308 model that was one of the 1" moa, and it was, good shooting gun

Old 02-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

I guess Ill open myself up to an argument here!, I dont think the Vanguard is worth a hill of beans!, they are in fact one of the worst choices out there for accuracy. The ammount of freebore in the chamber makes them bad enough to were makeing custom ammo cant make them shoot much better!. If your wanting a hunting rifle, you would be better off to get a Remington, Sako, CZ or even a Savage, they will outshoot the Weatherby!. Also, if you ever want an AR15, or any other kind of so called evil rifle, I would get it befor the elections, if the dems get in or I beleive McCain also, they will work another even harsher than the 94 ban through very quickly!. From what I understand, the brady-bunch are trying to outlaw the compleete rifle now, along with most other semi-autos, yes includeing your hunting rifles!, Im not going to even start on the handguns!, I hate to see whats going to come about after Jan 09.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Solid rifle. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do all weatherby calibers have freebore? I thought it was only the .300 wby and because he wanted to load 220gr bullets for the .300 wby. Anyone know for certain?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Weatherby Rifles chambered in Weatherby Calibers all have feebore. It's not because of the 220 bullet. The freebore allows you to loaded hotter loads. The freebore helps the gasses escape which then reduces the pressure which then gives the higher velocity that Weatherby is known for. I can't speak for the Vanguard but I know the Mark V is an accuate rifle.Maybe you were unfortunate andgot a lemon. Everyone has produced Lemons somewhere along the line weather its Weatherby, Remington, Ford or Chevy. One bad rifle doesn't make them all bad.It might put a sour taste in your mouth though!!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:19 PM

My vanguard in 300wsm is a pretty accurate rifle..If I do my
part it will hold 1 inch or least at 100 yards...That is with the 180 grain bullets and H 4831 powder..
Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess Ill open myself up to an argument here!, I dont think the Vanguard is worth a hill of beans!, they are in fact one of the worst choices out there for accuracy. The ammount of freebore in the chamber makes them bad enough to were makeing custom ammo cant make them shoot much better!.
Only if the vanguard is chamberedfor a Weatherby cartridge.

The vanguard is not the same rifle as the Mark V. The vanguards (Howa 1500 is the same rifle)are a very solid rifle that performs well above its price tag and incorperates features that you see on higher priced rifles.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also worried about the upcoming elections and I already have 2 bolt action rifles(a .30-06 and a .25-06) so the Vanguard would not really be needed. The decision would be easier if the rifle were chambered in a caliber I do not currently have.

Quick Reply: Opinions of the Weatherby Vanguard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.