Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Overgunned for Whitetail >

Overgunned for Whitetail

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Overgunned for Whitetail

Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Overgunned for Whitetail

The most common reasoning I hear for using a more powerful cartridge is that it has more 'knockdown power' in case you make a marginal shot. Makes me wonder if that translates to "my marksmanship skills aren't very good but I can make up for the shortcoming with a 300 RUM or 30-378 and then go on the internet and chide all of the less informed people on how bad of a choice their .308 or 260 rem is for anything bigger than squirrels"[:-]

My attitude is that a .243 through the heart is better than any magnum in the guts.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Marginal hits happen on deer. They happen to everyone that hunts much at all. So you shouldn't bad mouth those that use larger calibers hoping to increase their odds of killing the animal. Maybe they are poor marksmen. But maybe they just want to stack the odds a little more in their favor. If you're comfortable with whatever you shoot and can shoot it accurately and only take perfect shots like those on TV then that's great. There are lots of other people who don't hunt that way.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that there are a lot of people who will take marginal shots, and magnums don't make any difference. I don't need venison bad enough that I can't pass up a bad shot, I don't need venison bad enough that I'll eat tainted meat from a poorly shot deer. Some people either lack self control or are really hungry...
Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 30-30 does just about everything for deer hunting for us around here. We also use 270's and I just picked up a Savage 99 in 308. Guns are fun, and I dont feel that I need a reason to justify buying one, simply because I just plain enjoy to shoot. For hunting, the Savage in 308 should do just fine, even on the elk hunting.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I'm over guned!!!! The smallest deer caliber I have is a 7mm mag the biggest is 444 marlin
Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was younger I had to have the biggest baddest gun to hunt with. More often than not, you will find me toting a 243 or my 50cal muzzleloader. I used to like to snipe deer and other critters at insane distances, but I'd rather get up close and personal now.

If the wind is really howling (like it usually does all fall long in SD), I will still be carrying my 7mm Rem Mag. Its the most comfortable gun I own, and I know when the sear is dropped, so is whatever is in its crosshairs.

I did just get a 25WSSM this fall, and I harvest 6 deer with it. I really like how light/compact it is. Its my new walking deer rifle. The first deer I dispatched with it was a large doe at 429 yards this fall. My closest shot was a few weeks ago during a depradtion deer hunt on my cousins land, 60 yards or so, and it really turned it into minced meat.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Briman

The most common reasoning I hear for using a more powerful cartridge is that it has more 'knockdown power' in case you make a marginal shot. Makes me wonder if that translates to "my marksmanship skills aren't very good but I can make up for the shortcoming with a 300 RUM or 30-378 and then go on the internet and chide all of the less informed people on how bad of a choice their .308 or 260 rem is for anything bigger than squirrels"[:-]

I dont know about that!!! i have shot deer- blowed the heart apart, where the deer should not have moved, and the deer ran 80 yards with my 7mm08. i have seen my dad make some of the worst shots ever with his 3006 and they fell. It was almost like they were saying i dont want to live anymore please just shoot me.

My attitude is that a .243 through the heart is better than any magnum in the guts.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

I know that if a buck of a lifetime came up to me and i could choose a bad shot that would kill the deer or pass and not get a shot, i would have to shoot. i have got some beatiful bucks by accidently gut shooting etc. on drives. You do the best you can and hope for the best. I HUNT PUBLIC GROUND i wish i was spoiled and had my own ground but i dont. On the first day if i dont kill a buck that i see chances are he will be dead before dinner.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never really understood the magnum craze. Having enough gun for anything is good, but you can have toomuch as well.

The .30-06 takes care of my needs without leaving me sore after extended range sessions, shoots straight, and drops deer. My longest shot has been 150 yards vs. a doe. Didn't get ten yards from where I double-lunged her. In addition,the ammo doesn't cost as much as a lot of the magnums. That means something the way prices are going today.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had Magnumitus, but I've been cured, I'm down to a .243 now!

Quick Reply: Overgunned for Whitetail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.