Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Overgunned for Whitetail >

Overgunned for Whitetail

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Overgunned for Whitetail

Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Overgunned for Whitetail

I am down to using the 308 and 270 for everything. Both are more gun than needed for deer but with the right loads they can serve well for all NA big game. I quess mayby the perfect whitetail rifle in my mind would be the 6.5x55, 260 and 7MM-08 and 7x57 Mauser.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What James, no .243.... Sorry , I couldn’t resist...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 AM

I have been thinking about getting a .50 Beowulf and using it for an all-around gun. I was pleasantly surprised by the ballistics. The only thing about it is the ammo prices for it are kinda high.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 AM

I butchered a deer this year that was shot at fairly close range with a .300 Win Mag. It was a broadside shot, perfect bullet placement, 150 gr bullet, no exit wound. Let me tell you, what a mess. Blood and what-have-you was forced in between the layers of flesh and muscle on the off side, it was just amazing. What ordinarily would have been a "clean kill", really wasn't. It didn't help that the field dressing job was one of those stem-to-stern deals, I never did get that....
Old 02-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Spike

My cousin bought a Ruger 77 stainless/synthetic in .338 win mag for black bear hunting here in Minnesota about 7 years ago. It was his only rifle so he carried it for deer also(I know what you're thinking, I thought the same thing). One year we did a drive and a doe took off running straight across broadside of him roughly 35 yards. He shot twice, both times missing. After the first shot he startled that doe so bad she kinda did the splits with a nose plant into the snow while urinating everywhere. She got back up digging for life when he shot again, she did the same thing.She got up the last time, took off andnever saw her again! Apparently she didn't like the sound ofthose 210gr partitions were making going by her.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good question ...? I’ve gone down on power for deer hunting and my 2 designated cartridges for deer hunting will be my 260 Rem. & 7mm-08...
ditto here, i tote the wifes 260 more than any gun i own, but i am guilty, in the late 70's i bought my first "magnum" a ruger #1 in 7mm mag. and i have owned several since, my last "no brainer" was buying a model 700 in 7mm STW, i do hunt some big bean and corn fields (thus justifying my purchase), but the last time i shot over 250 yrds was long ago. now i enjoy shooting the 260 and like mentioned in another post most of my shots have been from 30yrds to a little over 200, and the 260 has proven more than capable for all of them. i dohave a 7mm-08 in an encore pistol, i have limited myself to 150'ish with it, but i no longer suffer from "magnumitis"...

but i'm not gonna hammer the guy that wants to hunt with a 300mag or one of the wsm's, the main reason, i don't want anybody telling me that my gun is too powerfull or my bow is not really a primitive weapon ( there are people that frown on people that even hunt with a rifle) . but as far as magnum purchases are considered, i think i have a gun for every situation i'll ever encounter, and don't anticipate ever buying any other magnum caliber, the only big game i hunt are whitetails anyway[&:]
Old 02-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, No mouse gun.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Browning Micro Hunter with a 20" barrel in 7mm-08 and a Micro Medalion in .308. I like them for the deer hunting I do in Pennsylvania. Yes, the barrels are a bit short but it does the job for me. Can't see the need for much more firepower than these calibers.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 AM

It's like this guy I know who bought one of those 50 BMG bolt action rifles. I asked him what he planned to do with it and he said he wanted to see what it would do on a deer!!! Plain ole stupid. He can't even afford a scope for it. Just plain nuts. My 270 and I will most cerainly be able to manuever the woods alot better.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ConstructionWorker

It's like this guy I know who bought one of those 50 BMG bolt action rifles. I asked him what he planned to do with it and he said he wanted to see what it would do on a deer!!! Plain ole stupid. He can't even afford a scope for it. Just plain nuts. My 270 and I will most cerainly be able to manuever the woods alot better.
Whatever blows your skirt up.

Quick Reply: Overgunned for Whitetail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.