Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Got my new Tikka...a little disappointed >

Got my new Tikka...a little disappointed

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Got my new Tikka...a little disappointed

Old 02-07-2003, 11:17 AM

Default Got my new Tikka...a little disappointed

i just got my new Tikka whitetail hunter stainless synthetic in 308win. Everything about it looks awesome, however, i am a little disappointed with the plastic clip! Does any one have any experience with these clips? I thought that for the money I paid for it (I also bought a spare) that it would be metal. Damm, even the clips for my Dad's remington jamamatic is metal!!

Edited by - crashman on 02/07/2003 12:18:26
Old 02-07-2003, 11:23 AM

Default RE: Got my new Tikka...a little disappointed

How is the fit between the stock and the barrel. I found a new tikka black synthetic and matte finish for $350, but the stock touches the barrel on the left side and there is a quarter inch gap on the right side. That has made me question if I really want a Tikka. Please tell me if your gun is like this, and if it still shoots good.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2003, 11:54 AM

I am bummed about it. I went to the shop and saw that tikka for $350. That is cheap for a brand new gun. I have been reading nothing but positives on this board, but upon inspection I noticed th stock touching on that one side. I am not a gun expert by any means, but I have always been told to pay attention to the little details and that is how you know you are getting a good gun. I have since went to another shop and their tikka's were the same. I am confused on what I should do. I was leaning towards buying a tikka, but am now almost positive that I will save up more money and buy a Remington or Browning.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:29 PM

The Tikka removable magazine is made of plastic or some synthetc material. So are several of the Ruger removable mags. That's a manufacturing charactaristic of these and other rifles. Doesn't mean it's bad or good in itself but how well the magazine functions is the issue. I guess if a removable magazine is important and one doesn't want a magazine made of a synthetic one could buy a Rem. Jamomatic. Regarding the barrel/stock fit, I have a model 70 that the fit looked great but was shooting all over the place. Turned out there was a severe pressure point near the front of the stock that wasn't visible. Now that it's been shaved it shoots just fine. Other than the cosmetic appearance of the Tikka's you're refering to, how do they shoot? That's the important thing. Tikka does have a reputation for being extremely accurate out of the box. I'd suggest if it's shooting good, say 1 to 2 M.O.A, not to worry about it. If metal magazine, nice stock fit, deep blue, nice wood, as well as good accuracy are all important then take the step up to a Sako, of course a lot more $$. gg

"The older a man gets, the farther he had to walk to school as a boy"
Old 02-07-2003, 02:44 PM

I have not had a chance to shoot my new Tikka, but I will be tomorrow, I will let you know how I make out. I did notice a difference in the gap on my stock/barrel alignment aswell, however I did check with the dollar bill test and she passed. I like the way the Tikka feels in the hand and when sighting, I believe I will be happy with purchase. Does anyone know about the adjustable butt spacers? I read about it on their web site but saw no mention of it in the manual.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:17 PM

Crashman
Good luck with the shooting. My bet is you'll be quite pleased. Will be interested to hear how you make out. Don't forget to give the barrel a decent break-in, i.e. shoot one & then clean for 1st. 10 shots, then shoot two & then clean for next five, then shoot three & clean for next five. By the way where did you find that dollar bill up here? gg.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:22 PM

Crashman

In all honesty I wouldn't be worried about the plastic parts on your tikka,they will probably outlast metal ones & they certainly wont rust will they,just look at some of the military rifles around the world,most of them have many more plastic parts than a tikka & the military wouldn't have then if they thought plastic parts would cause problems.

My Tikka Continental heavy barrel in 7mm-08 arrived this morning & i'm 100% happy with it,plastic parts included so Crashman dont worry about the plastic bits,I think you will see them more & more in the future.
Tikkas are an awsome rifle,so take yours out shoot it,enjoy it but dont worry 1 bit about the plastic bits.

Tumbo

P.S. I'de like to know how yours shoots
Old 02-08-2003, 01:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tikka does lack some finish but I haven't heard to many complaint about how they shoot.

GG, I have owned 4 Rems with detachable mags, never have had a jam.(2 pumps and 2-700's) I have been nothing but pleased with any remington I owned.

Old 02-08-2003, 06:16 AM

skeeter 7MM
Didn't mean to raise anyone's ire on the Rems. Just trying to make a point. A couple of fellows I hunt with have one including one of my sons and they've never had a problem either. My own experience wasn't so good - my 7400 30.06 jammed repeatedly despite trying different mags and a varity of ammo - finally sold it. If one were to put out the issue on post a bunch of guys would say like you (and my son) "never had a problem" and others would tell horor stories. Oh well, such is life. I don't own any auto-loaders now except for my turkey 12g. Browning Gold 3 1/2" which has never jammed. gg.

Quick Reply: Got my new Tikka...a little disappointed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.