Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wolf ammo

Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wolf ammo

Well im sure everybody who shoots alot has noticed the price of ammo and Wolf is the cheapest by far,im looking to buy 1000 rds and wolf is $100 to $200 cheaper than the other brands.The only thing i am worried about is the steel case,some people say that it messes your gun up.What do you guys think?Should i worry about it?Im not buying it to go out and shoot it up,im buying it to store it for "hard times".but eventually i plan on shooting it,just not all at once.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wolf ammo

I have some Wolf ammo. Seems to shoot just fine. With what we have left to pick the President from we all had better stock up for hard times.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM

It has to be rougher on a rifle than a brass case just simply because steel is harder...but the real thing with steel cases is their effect on reloading dies. Yes, you can reload it as well. Just don't expect your dies to last very long.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Spike

I had a sks for a while and I would shoot surplus or "cheap" ammo in it. The sks i bought from a gun dealer about 6 years ago who mostly delt with military rifles and custom gunsmithing. Anyway he told me that wolf ammo, the mimitary surplus kind or steel case, was all junk. And he sold me some late (I think)1980's south african stuff sealed in 200 round battle packs. anyway he said it was much better than that wolf crap. (he did not say "crap" and he acually got quite animated about it saying how bad it was) So i bought 600 rounds from him and i was on my way(it was about 35 bucks a pack). Once i had shot all of that stuff up i figured i would buy the wolf stuff because at the time it was about 100-120 bucks for 1000 rounds and was much cheaper than the other. The one thing i remember about the stuff is how dirty it was. Almost 2x as dirty as the S.A. stuff. And i remember that the lacquer seals on the primers and around where the bullet seats in the case would flake off quite bad. I was bright red so you could see it very well. Anyway the flakes of stuff were hard to get out when i cleaned my rifle. Needless to say i never bought it again but that was a while ago so i don't know how it fairs now. I have heard that their hunting ammo or brass case stuff is good because its not made in russia but who knows. Also if you are worried about the rifle and the steel case hurting it, It depends on the rifle. If you have a sks or ak variant you have nothing to worry about because these rifles were made to shoot the steel case stuff.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

My local range does not allow steel or aluminum cases on the indoor range. I'm not sure why.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:05 AM

Most likely because of people that do not police their own cases after they are done shooting. The range probably picks them up and recycles them, or maybe sells them for reloading or something.

Now when they do that they have to sort them and seperate the brass from the other metals which is a pain. And most of the other cartridges can't be reloaded so that rules that out as well.

My guess anyway.

Paul
Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

The only thing i am worried about is the steel case,some people say that it messes your gun up.What do you guys think?Should i worry about it?
There is nothing at all wrong with steel-cased ammo, as long as the steel is protected from rusting. From what I have experienced with Wolf ammo (.45 ACP), it is well finished against rusting. Store it in sealed U.S. .50-cal. ammo cans, and it will be OK for many years. While I have found Wolf 7.62X39mm ammo to be no better than anyone's else's cheapie military ball ammo in the same caliber, their .45 ACP has proven as accurate as many lots of U.S. GI hardball ammo, and it has Boxer primers. I have reloaded lots of Wolf .45 ACP steel cases using a carbide sizing die, and loading it is as easy as if I were loading brass cases...... But of course, since the .45 ACP operates at such low pressures, the steel cases don't seem to expand much in that caliber.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I went ahead and Purchased thea 1000 rds ofultramax 55 gr FMJ.I read alot of good stuff on that ammo.