Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 first .22 opinions >

first .22 opinions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

first .22 opinions

Old 02-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Default first .22 opinions

fairly new to hunting ... blah blah blah... planning on gettin a new .22Long

i know "you get what you pay for", but i cant pay for much

thinkin bout bout either a ruger 10/22 or a henry h001, mainly because ive shot them before, the semi vs.lever doesnt make a difference to meand the onlything id do besides shoot it stock would be a scope. fromwhat ive read, heard and seenthey both seem to be straight shooters and reliable but im sorta new to the whole sha-bangso im lookin for any opinons, suggestions
Old 02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Spike

Default RE: first .22 opinions

id go for a good bolt action for accuracy.. i know you can pick up a marlin .22 mag for $180 at walmart and are supose to be really good guns
Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

go with the lever.......they are awesome guns!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 PM

I've owned sever Ruger 10/22s and never had one that wasn't very accurate and dependable. That would be my choice of the two. And they probably have better resale value if you ever want to do something different.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: wv bow hunter

id go for a good bolt action for accuracy.. i know you can pick up a marlin .22 mag for $180 at walmart and are supose to be really good guns

lookin for a quick loader for squirrels/rabbits, ive got partial nerve damage in my r hand so id rather load up in the begining than fumblea bullet when i needed it, plus i dont knowif all wal-marts have stopped, but theres not a wal-mart within 100 miles of me that sells guns anymore.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:47 AM

If your looking to customize I would go with the ruger, if you just want to buy a gun and shoot it I would suggest the Marlin semi autos. Great guns for the money.

The advantage of the lever gun is that they will shoot anything you put in them from CB's to high velocity stingers.

The levers tend to have crappy triggers though and I don't think there is much you can do about it.

I've owned all three by the way, my pick would be the Marlin model 60 for an every day hunting/plinker.

Paul
Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

First, and I'm sure you've already done this, is to check it a semi-auto .22is legal for hunting. It's not here in PA. If it is then the Ruger would be a good choice. You could buy a larger magazine to deal with your problem with your hand. If you need to get a manual feed (bolt, lever, pump, etc) because of your condition, I would opt for a tube fed rather than the 5 round mags found on some of the bolt actions. The lever actions like the Henry would be nice but then again, will your hand be a problem. What about looking into a pump action? There are just so many options it just depends on what you want and what fits you and you are comfortable with.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 PM

like i said im a newbie, so forgive me if im a little silly

as a kid my dad had got me a single shot bolt rifleto plink with but its long gone, i just want to stay away from single shots, ive got a winchester 1890 pump in .22short that used to be my grandpas (shorts are in "short" supply around here) but dont think that will do me any good unless im goin for soda cans. loading a tube or a magazine is not a problem, but due to my nerve loss im prone droppin bullets when loadin, just rather not be droppin em in the woods gettin frustrated is all.

ive gone a couple of times with my father in law, he lets me borrow his kimber but ive got a feeling its more $$$ than i care to be held responsible for and would feel better with my own stuff.

i dont really care about customizing, id pretty much prefer to keep it stock outta the box.

alsowhat would you guys do about a scope, ive been told a fixed 4x would be best for a squirrel gun, but if you were buyin a $300 dollar gun how much would you spend on a scope ?? honestly ive only shot thru a scope a couple of time and dont knowanything bout what to look for in a good one.id like to spend as close to $500 as possible to get a reliable set-up.

any pointers on what would be best for a FOV or lens diameter ?

all help is greatly appreciated by the way

Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 PM

If you can handle lever actions ok, I'd look at getting a Marlin or a Browning. Tubes are easier to load than 10/22 magazines IMO, and you won't have to clear as many jams with a lever action. But if you can load and operate a 10/22 just fine, they're great little guns too.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

Take the henry, its an awesome lil .22, and as mentioned, lever action beats semi for clearing dud ammo any day. Also you can shoot the very cheapest walmart ammo and not have any problems.
edit, if you can afford it check out the marlin 39a, finest lever gun 22 ever made.Henry is very good for a couple hundred less.

Quick Reply: first .22 opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.