Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 dangerous game gun >

dangerous game gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

dangerous game gun

Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dangerous game gun

Well since you didn't specify, but dangerous begins at grizzly/brown bear, and continues to africa.....starting there, I agree as above, .338 to start, I own a .340 Wby, which they say in alaska, the .338 that is, is the .30-06 to a guy in wisconsin, or the .375h&h if you wer ein africa. personally I can think of no finer a cartridge than the .375H&H to hunt Brown bear, and that would also double as a great african cartridge, can do it all, though on the really big stuff, I'd want more gun. The .458 Lott can be loaded down to .45-70 specs, can make a great all around. My suggestions, .338-.458Lott
Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 AM
FA
Fork Horn

45-70 using Garrett's 540gr. hammerheads +P will stop anything on this planet.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

The most dangerous game around is usally taken with a 5.56 mm.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Fork Horn

375 H&H, one world, one gun
Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 22 guy

Hello everyone, I was wondering what yall use for your dangerous game gun. My family sais a good dangerous game gun is a 30-06, but I want your opinions on the subject,thanks.
IF you are talking about the "big five" in Africa (Cape Buffalo, elephant, rhino, lion & leopard) if you are the hunter with a PH backing you up, I'd use a .375 like the H&H or Ruger, or a .416 such as the .416 Rigby. For a stopping rifle, nothing under .45 caliber qualifies, and bigger is better, except the leopard does not require an elephant stopper.

For Kodiak, Polar, and big grizzlies, I think the .338 Win. and similar rounds with premium bullets are sufficient, but I'd use my .375 H&H or .416 Rigby for 1000-pound and up bears!

The .30/'06 with heavy premium bullets will kill (and has killed!!) anything on earth with one shot. BUT you must be a superb marksman, AND YOU MUST KNOW YOUR QUARRY'S ANATOMY VERY INTIMATELY, IN ORDER TO KNOW JUST EXACTLY WHERE THE BULLET MUST HIT!! The Inuit kill polar bears with the .22 Hornet and .223 Remington. Jack O'Connor's wife used a .30/'06 to kill her elephant. Bell killed over 800 elephant with a 7X57mm Mauser (275 Rigby).

My recommendation: use the biggest, most powerful rifle you can shoot well. Big bullets don't work if they miss.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

My recommendation: use the biggest, most powerful rifle you can shoot well. Big bullets don't work if they miss.
That is very true alot of people try to shoot too big of gun and they are scared of the recoil and they start flinching.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

444 Marlin
Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cjwink

444 Marlin
I would only consider the .444 capable for dangerous game if it was loaded with a bullet of at least 300 grains, and preferably more. Just like the old .405 Winchester, the bullets under 300 grains lack the necessary sectional density for deep penetration on really heavy game such as Cape Buffalo, elephant, etc. For example, when shooting such huge, tough things, T.R. used his big bore double, reserving the .405 for lion and smaller game.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:11 AM

What are we talking here, hunting or self defense? I know plenty of people that hunt large dangerous game (Moose, bear and the likes) with a bow.

If you are talking self defense I can't think of much that will reliably stop a charging grizzly or larger animal in its tracks before it gets to you.

I would say the biggest gun you can shoot and handle well, even if that means a 30-06 or something similar. My grandma used to live in Alaska and she took a 7mm mauser with her when she was doing chores outside like hanging clothes and what not. I huge gun will not do you much good if you can't shoot it well and quickly.

There is always the trusty 12 ga as well.

Paul
Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

375 H&H, one world, one gun
You can say the same about the 9.3x62mm, and it one gets "meat" on one end of the gun.

Quick Reply: dangerous game gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.