Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Range Report >

Range Report

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Range Report

Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Range Report

All this talk about the slug guns got me excited to head to the range. I put a fully rifled barrel on my 870 supermag this year and a new nikon 3-9x40 scope. The barrel isnt the cantilever so I had to use the saddle mount from B-square. I wasnt sure how this set up would do, but I was quite surprised. I believe that the barrel is older (bought it from a friend) and the rifling is a slower twist rate. I went a picked up 4 different brands of ammo (KO Sabots from Brenneke, SST, Lightfield Hybrids and Federal Vital Shock's with the tipped barnes bullet). KO's are the cheapest so I sighted in with them cause I had a few boxes of them. Got it so I would hit pretty close at 100 yards. I had a piece of freezer paper with a 6" Shoot NC stuck to it. The KO slugs shot pretty well but they seemed to tumble a bit. The SST were all over the place. Like a 4" group at 50 yards. The Lightfields shot great 3" at 100 yards and they kick like hell at 1 1/4 oz.
The Federal surprized me and shot even better. After the SST I didnt think the Federal would shoot well being roughly the same kind of bullet. They printed around 2" at 100 yards so I shot the last 2 at 200 yards. I was about 2" high a 100 so I wasnt sure where they would hit at 200. I held at the top of the circle and put them both in the shoot nc circle, just up from the bottom. Definitely happy with them. Does anyone know what twist rate the older remington 870 barrels are?

[/align]
Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Range Report

Not sure about the twist rate but glad to see you found something that shoots well for you. I have a smooth bore barrel with sights that I played with. It is easily capable of a clean kill out to about 75 yds with Federal's Tru-ball slugs. All the others I tried didn't shoot as well. I didn't try the saboted slugs because I figured it would just be a waste of $ with a smooth bore.
I did have my gsmith bore out the barrel and install a remchoke. I may get a rifled choke and see how it performs.
Good luck with your new toy.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

[/align]
[blockquote]
My dad has an 870 wingmaster with the short smooth bore barrel and that thing loves the cheap winchester slugs. As you said though, it will only shoot til about 75 yards. My buddy has a smooth bore Ithaca 20 ga that will only shoot Brenneke Rottwieler slugs. Also, not sure about the rifled choke working or not. I have heard some things about them not being as accurate but I have no experiance with them.
[/blockquote]
Old 01-30-2008, 04:44 PM

Take a look at the accu tip bonded sabots made by remengton,they look pretty mean .I wanted to try some in the 20ga but they only have them in 12ga this year.
The tipped Federal Barnes expanders are what I want to use if I can find any in my area.