Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 01-20-2002, 08:54 AM

Default RE: Would yo buy a Weatherby

I agree with fight4.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2002, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mm will do fine as a moose gun.I think you are going in the right direction by getting rid of the muzzle brake as hearing is far too important to sacrifice just to shoot a certain gun.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2002, 03:33 PM

NO
Old 01-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

otis-I do have a fair bit of experience hunting moose but I do not hunt them every year.I find elk a far greater challenge to hunt(second only to bighorn) and spend much more time hunting them.I did however hunt both this year and took a 54" moose and a large bodied 5x5 elk while my partners took a 47" moose and couple of smaller elk.This year I used a 300 ultra mag for my elk and moose hunting(I am very recoil tolerant)but I have taken most of my moose and elk with the 7mmstw and a few with the 7mm rem mag while my partners have usually used the 7mm rem mag.All of the moose and elk myself and my partners have harvested with the 7mm's were taken with the 140 gr partition.We have had no problems with this bullet and have seen no reason to change to a heavier bullet.As I stated earlier I have owned weatherby rifles and no I do not think they offer a substantial improvement to justify the extra cost.I myself hunt only with custom rifles built on 700 action's and if I was to buy a factory rifle it would be a 700bdl ss dm in 7mm rem mag.Three of my friends use this model and all have found it to be a dependable and accurate rifle.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 01/20/2002 17:08:31
Old 01-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2002, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Otis I noticed that you are concerned about recoil. You can go ahead and get wichever brand you choose in the .300, and if you'll have a pachmayr recoil pad installed it won't kick any worse than a stock 7mm mag. In fact it will probably kick less. I promise, a $27.99 pachmayr recoil pad will be the best spent money you can spend on a magnum rifle, and that price for me was installed.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Otis-when using conventional lead core bullets heavier bullets do penetrate better.This is not always the case when using premium bullets such as barnes x,failsafe,partition,grand slam and many others.The premiuns penetrate well even in the lighter weights.We rarely recover 140 gr partitions even from elk and moose and prefer the flatter trajectories of the lighter bullets as most of our hunting takes place in open fields and mountainous terrain.Since the lighter bullets are performing so well for us we see no reason to change.I feel for you on the cost of an elk hunt as myself and a few good friends get together every year on another friends ranch for our annual elk hunt which costs us very little.It is not a traditional mountain hunt as we wait on the edges of fields to shoot the elk as they travel to their bedding areas but we do enjoy the get togethers and do kill several elk each year.I actually don't even hunt moose near where I live.I do all of my hunting much further south on private land or in remote mountain areas or zones where very few tags are issued in order to avoid the crowds.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.