Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 T/C Pro-Hunter 20Ga. Slug Gun >

T/C Pro-Hunter 20Ga. Slug Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

T/C Pro-Hunter 20Ga. Slug Gun

Old 01-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Spike

Default T/C Pro-Hunter 20Ga. Slug Gun

Hey all,
I just ordered a T/C Pro-Hunter, 20ga. fully rifled Slug-Gun...... Any Opinions, experience with ammo and sighting "in-put" are welcome.

I plan to zero the beast at 25 yds. which should put me BANG-ON at 100 yds. Yes?

Randy
Old 01-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C Pro-Hunter 20Ga. Slug Gun

Don't know about the 25 yard sight in ,But everything I have heard about the.20 Ga.slug has been positive.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 AM

How about either actually sighting in in for dead on at 100 and forget about the 25. Or, even better, find a quality sabot and look at the ballistics. For most of them, if you sight it in 2 inches high it is dead on at 150. Although some people claim great accuracy at 200 w/ a 20 slug gun, the two we have are great to 150, past that things start to fall apart.
Just don't shoot cheapie lead foster or other bare lead slugs in the barrel. Stick to sabots. At first, the gun will appear to digest the lead slugs fine. But they are very soft and will heavily lead you rifling and accuracy will go south fast. Spend the time and money on quality ammo and the gun will be great.
Hank
Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Spike

Thanks Swampdog, I agree with you there.

'Sides, I don't care what they claim. I've never needed to go out over 100yds. for a deer anyway. I'm a hunter not a drive-by shooter. I think almost all the ammo makers have ballistics available so I shouldn't need much more than a nice afternoon and a batch of shells. The Thompson has a good reputation. I'll have my own opinion soon enough I guess.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 PM

Lightfield suggests sighting in an inch or two (would have to read it again) high at 50 yards and this will put you on at 100 yards. Like said above it will really depend on your gun and the load you pick. Depending on how high your scope is, or if you use one it will effect the trajectory to some extent, as will the speed and weight of the bullet you use.

They suggest sighting in at 50 yards because for slug guns wind will not effect the bullet at 50 yards like it would at 100. I sort of agree with this, but I would still shoot it at 100 to verify the slug actually goes where you want it.

I like to start at 25 yards to make sure the gun is relatively close and the mounts don't need any adjustments then I move to 50 yards. At 50 I will set my windage and put my elevation where I think it should be. Then I move to 100 yards and touch it up. If it is calm out I will touch up my windage if it needs it and set my zero exactly were I want it. Then if I plan on shooting at farther distances I will shoot the gun at those ranges just to see where the slug really lands as opposed to where a chart says it should land.

I like to zero my guns at the distance I actually want them zeroed at, like my muzzle loader is zeroed for 130 yards, my slug gun was zeroed for 100 yards and my rifle will be zeroed at 200 yards. They get zeroed at those exact distances measured with the laser range finder I use to hunt with.

Paul
Old 01-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Spike

Thanks Paul.
I think I want to try the Hornady SSTs. They sure sound impressive.... I'll try them at 25, 50 and 100. I intend to zero the gun at 100yds. so I can go a little further if need be. With that setting, anything inside that range, where I do most of my shooting, will be having a seriously bad day.

Randy