Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying my first rifle >

Buying my first rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying my first rifle

Old 02-03-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Buying my first rifle

I recently found this forum, and I figured you all would be the most knowlegeable people to ask.

I have just completed my second season of hunting, and I am without a doubt hooked. I have been borrowing my father in law's Remington 7600 in 300 Sav. for my first two seasons. I have recently graduated college, and I finally have the time and resources to invest in my first rilfe.

I have decided, tentatively, on a Browning A-Bolt composite stalker in a blued finish, chambered in .270. I hunt the Edwards Plateau and the Hill Country in Central Texas, with an occasional jaunt to South Texas with a good buddy.

My question is this: Is there a better option out there for me? I would like to stay in the ~$500 range. The people I hunt with usually use Remingtons, usually ADLs or BDLs of anywhere from .243, .22-250, .270, .30-06, or 7mm. One fella uses a nice used Ruger. They aren't much help, since no one has a lot of experience with other brands/models.

The thread on the Savage rifles got me second guessing. I noticed that I can get a Savage composite w/ a stainless barrel for a little less than the A-Bolt blued. Is stainless really necessary for someone only hunting central Texas? The higher cost is daunting.

I'd love to see what you all think. Any help would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the Browning.

Thanks, and Gig 'Em
Old 02-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: Buying my first rifle

I have a Remington 700 and a Winchester Mod70 and like both. Have shot the Browning SS with the Boss and found it a little blocky for my taste but its still a beautiful rifle and the guy who owns it loves it.
Why not go to a shop and try every model they have on the shelf and see which one feels the best. Look at the price and go from there.If you can, shoot every make of your friends and see what you like.I know that high cost is a factor but if you find something you really like its an investment of a lifetime and may be the only rifle you ever buy. Go the extra.
As to caliber and scope, look back on the forums and you will find a whole lot of opinions.
Good luck.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

First, welcome to the board dodger02!
Savage is a hard gun to beat for the money! I would not hesitate to buy one! You mentioned the Browning A-bolt, it is a good gun too, along with the Winchester and Remmington.
You also mentioned a 500 dollar range limit. You won't be able to buy a new A-bolt and put good glass on top for that price!
For that matter, you'd be hard pressed to get a Savage and a good scope for 500 or less! You could probably get a new Savage package deal, with a cheap scope for less than 500, but I would invest in a good scope like a Leupold or Nikon as soon as I could afford it.
Also, you said you want a .270, that will be as good of a deer caliber as you can get! The other calibers you listed from .243 on up would be good too! I wouldn't recommend any of the .22 centerfire calibers for deer hunting though!
Remember, what ever gun you get, will only be as good as the glass on top of it is, so don't skimp on the scope! Good luck!
Old 02-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you made a good choice in calibers and brands. The 270 is a great deer cartridge and the browning a-bolt is a fine rifle. I own a Browning Medallion A-bolt in a 270 and it has performed very well. I have heard lots about savage and know guys who have gone to the Tikka and been really happy(for a lower cost option, but do not give up much (other than finish or looks) to the others you mentioned. I agree you must pay attention to the scope or glass you chuck on the top. I would say spend as much as you can on the glass and then fit the rifle into the overall budget, instead of the otherway around. Some decent glass for not to much is Bushell or Nikon, if you want to go higher Leupold, Zeiss or Burris make some nice models and scopes. Either way make sure you look at it as a long term investment and relationship, if you buy what makes you happy today, you'll be happy tomorrow (in the end I bet you'll save money than swapping up when funds are easier to come by).

Old 02-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-03-2003, 05:04 PM

browning is a great gun but will cost over $500.00. ever since i bought one and how she felt like an extension of my arm i will never buy another gun except browning.

if you don't want to save up the extra $$ and buy a gun now. get a savage. even look at the tikka

Old 02-03-2003, 05:05 PM

from what i hear hunting in texas is rather open.go for a 7mm-08rem or 25-06rem

Old 02-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmm brownings are all usually high quality guns and all usually shoot well and are pretty problem free...i shot an abolt with a composite stock and a boss in 223..windy raining or snowing i cant rememmber...at 100yds i had a 5 shot group in a dime..never touched the gun in my life before that...GREAT rifle..i have a browning pistol and shot a few thousand rounds out of it in the 4 ir 5 mnths i had it and never had a problem..brownings are good guns and you cant go wrong..caliber..i really dont like the 270 but it may work fine for you..some people love the round to death...and like others said..to me texas = long shots..if the shots are infact far for you maybe rethink your caliber..theres alot of great rounds out ther today great for long range shooting...i wouldnt push a 270 much past 300yds...if you put your money into a browning i doubt you regret it...good luck..o ya welcome to the boards stay a while ad ask all the questions you can think of someone can always help...
Old 02-03-2003, 06:37 PM

I've owned Browning, Winchester, Remington, Ruger,Savage and other brands. IMO the Browning A-bolt is the best of the lot. The down side is that you'll be hard pressed to find own for under $500. The Browning Compsite Stalker in 270 is a great combination. Good Luck.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the help.

I have already bought the scope, a Leupold VX2 3-9X40. It was on sale a few weeks ago, so I cashed in. The $500 range was just a guide for the gun itself.

I understand your argument on buying the "right gun" not the "most affordable". Where I hunt, I don't face too many 300 yard shots. I could take them if I wanted, however they just aren't encouraged. I have contemplated the 7mm, however.

I will be spending some time with a friend of mine from So. Texas later in the spring. That will give me a chance to shoot just about any caliber I want, as he and his dad have assembled a small armory over the years.

My question is this: Would I be better off with the stainless finish over the blued? What are the practical advantages, if any? Academy sells the A-Bolt in blued finish for $509. I can get the stainless at a local gun store for $684 (I think). Spending more for the stainless just means that I wait a little longer to save up the cash.

I'd really like to hear your opinions on the stainless v. blued.

Quick Reply: Buying my first rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.