Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scope will not stay zeroed >

scope will not stay zeroed

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope will not stay zeroed

Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Default scope will not stay zeroed

My scope, after just a little contact (a bump against my back, against my knee when I place it in my lap, etc.) is knocked off zero about two inches at 100 yards. Is this something I just need to learn to live with and be a lot more gentle with my rifle or is this a problem with thescope or mounting? I try to be very gentle with myrifle and think that I am and am surprised that such minor contact results in sucha change in zero. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Default RE: scope will not stay zeroed

This situation is not acceptable!!!!!!!!!

Depending on the make and model of the scope, the manufacturer may repair/replace a scope in this condition. Contact the manufacturer. If they will not assist you, don't EVER buy one of thier scopes again.

With scopes, you usually get what you pay for; in quality and manufacturer support.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

a simple bump shouldnt throw a scope off like . i would check over all the screws and mounts. if thats good then maybe send the scope back to the company for a look at. you could also have issues with fouling your barrel or pinch points in the stock that are working against you keeping a good group. did you have consistant groups all along? maybe shoot a couple and then give the scope a gentle bump with your hand. if it is thast bump sensative you need to have the scope fixed. also if you have another scope maybe mount that up and see if its the gun that has issues.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM
FA
Fork Horn

I agree with Caribou, try to contact the manufacturer for repairs or save your pennies and purchase a new scope. You do get what you pay for in scopes.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

you usually get what you pay for; in quality and manufacturer support.
this is true to a point. there are many budget scopes that perform well. the bushnell banner and trophy series is one i know of from experience. i bet many mass produced scopes come out of the same factories using similar parts.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 PM

I have many scopes from Leupold, Nikon, Weaver, and others. I expect a scope manufacturer to stand behind thier product. That is part of my concideration when making a scope purchase. If I am purchasing a scope that does not carry a lifetime warranty, then I know I am buying a "budget" scope. But, if I have a few bucksextra and I know I'm going to hold onto that scope (which I generally do), then I'll move up a price point and get same quality or better and the warranty. It gives me long term peace of mind.

This is just my personal justification when making a purchase. I also have a couple of "budget" scopes in the safe.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM

NC, you can't hunt with a scope you can't trust. Something is screwy in the scope or mounting. If you can't fix it, you gotta pitch it and start over. Start with your mounts first. When asking for tech advice it always helps to give specifics as to make, product age, etc.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM

It is a Bushnell Legend I bought this year. I think the mounts are Bushnell as well. I have checked the screws and mounts and am shooting tight groups with the rifle. What type of abuse should I expect a scope to take before it is thrown off? I thought it was me but the moreI read the more more angry I am getting. I missed a deer this year with it.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You sure doI've had nothing but bushnell trophy scopes on every gun I own... I bought a Browning Stainless Stalker and decided to put a better scope on it... So I bought a Leoupold... Couldn't get that thing to hit the same spot twiceDecided it was the scope and went out and bought a Bushnell Trophy and that was the end of my sight in prob

Definetly a classic case of you get what you pay for
Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

You need to send the scope back to the manufacturer. They should replace it. It is true and you get what you pay for. I have always shot leupold on both civilian and military guns. It is a solid scope and can take a pretty good beating....but every product has its limitations. We are getting ready to buy nightforce for all our military sniper rifles....the vendor zeroed one...took it off the gun...beat it on a desk and put it back on the gun....still zeroed....we were sold...but as I said every product has its limitations....Send it back for a new scope.

Quick Reply: scope will not stay zeroed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.