Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question about Assault rifles and the elections... >

Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 PM

Default Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

I was browsing a few websites that sell guns and have seen more and more ads saying: "Buy this now before Hillary gets into office!"

I don't want to make this a political thread, I was more curious to how realistic it is that our new President will re-sign the Assault Weapons ban?

I also understand that this is a marketing tool too, seen prices of many assault rifles go up since the ban was lifted.

Any takers?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

I was browsing a few websites that sell guns and have seen more and more ads saying: "Buy this now before Hillary gets into office!"

I don't want to make this a political thread, I was more curious to how realistic it is that our new President will re-sign the Assault Weapons ban?

I also understand that this is a marketing tool too, seen prices of many assault rifles go up since the ban was lifted.

Any takers?
I'd imagine that any of the leading candidates would sign a new AWB if it came in front of them (Romney, Huckabee, Clinton, Obama, Edwards), none of them are friends of gun owners, at least one of them are outright enemies of gun owners (Clinton isn't the worst of them either).

The political fallout would be interesting if a new AWB were pushed through. Black guns with most of the cool evil features were off limits for a decade, since the AWB expired, EBRs have become the most interesting and top selling guns-countless people have bought them and continue to buy them if for the only reason is that they can.
Taking that freedom that is new to a lot of people away could cause serious unemployment problems for people in power.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

"EBRs"?

Briman - youmay want to copyright that term/acronym, the media will be climbing over each other to use it!

The way I see it, we have two issues facing us as hunters (and in this order): 1) Loss of access, 2) Politicization of the 2nd Amendment.

2nd amendment wasn't intended to allow us to hunt, it was intended to allow us control over government.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Briman - youmay want to copyright that term/acronym, the media will be climbing over each other to use it!
EBR=Evil Black Rifle. Its a term used by owners in mockery of the mASS media.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) Loss of access,
I agree to that to some extent, but not entirely.
A lot of suburban landscpe is becoming of limits to hunting, but there is no shortage of hunting land once you get 50 miles away from any metropolitan area. The major loss of hunting opportunities is limiting motor vehicle access to national forests- closing off ATV/snowmobile/logging trails makes it very difficult for sportsment to utilize much of the areas. On the other hand, I hunt public land of which there is no shortage of in my state. The biggest thing I have observed is that 99% (maybe even a greater percentage than that) won't hunt more than 200 yards from a road or logging trail where they have access to a vehicle. Despite the fact that we have 700,000+ deer hunters in the woods on opening weekend, I rarely see another hunter anywhere near where I hunt, though its because I hike in nearly a mile from the roads, I have a successful hunt nearly every year, though its a lot more work to get in and out of the woods.

2) Politicization of the 2nd Amendment.
I'd put the 2nd amendment rights way ahead of hunting access. The 2nd amendment is a delineation of a natural right (right and ability to defend one's self and property) while hunting access is simply a priviledge to hunt on land owned by the government. If you lose your rights to own a gun for self protection, you pretty much lose it forever. If you loose access to a prime piece of hunting land, there is nothing stopping you from buying your own piece of hunting paradise, or pooling money with friends to do the same.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ir655

Any takers?
George Bush said, back when the assault weapons law expired, that if Congress renewed the law, he WOULD sign it. So having Hillary in office won't make one iota of difference-the law still has to get thru Congress, and that has not yet happened, despite the fact that the Dems have controlled both houses for over a year now!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

George Bush said, back when the assault weapons law expired, that if Congress renewed the law, he WOULD sign it.
He issued that statement while the Republicans controlled both the Senate and House. Under the context of the statement, it sounded more like a challenge to the republican leadership to make sure that such a law never reaches his desk. Whether or not he would have signed it if brought to him by a Democrat controlled congress is debatable. What is not debatable is the fact that any of the current frontrunners most certainly would sign it in a heartbeat, while one Senator from Illinois would probably use the Presidency to push for such a law.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huckabee is the only one that Ive heard say that he belives in the 2nd amendment....Atleast thats what I got out of it durring his interview....
Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 AM

Hukabee just pulled through in Iowa. Perhaps he's our hope.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO they are just "Marketing" their product. FEAR is a great motivator.

IMO if a Democrat is elected then prices at a minimum will go even higher. I also believe the ban will eventually be reenacted also. Tom.

Quick Reply: Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.