Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question about Assault rifles and the elections... >

Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

I prefer the term "Homeland Defense Rifle".

Lets see the liberals attack that!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Huckabee is the only one that Ive heard say that he belives in the 2nd amendment....Atleast thats what I got out of it durring his interview....
So did Fred Thompson. But his overall conduct does not indicate that he's really serious about becoming President - he's been a real disappointment to me.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Congress will not get a AWB to the President, it is political suicide. The republican party will filabuster it anyway. This upcomming Supreme Court decisision will say that it's an individual right anyway.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK from what i know the only thing it does is you can not buy a gun with a bayont lug a folding stock or a flash suppressor on it all at once.

you can still buy Ar's with them made before the bad is signed i bought one just before the ban was lifted.

And i think since it as went out congress would have to resend it and they can not seem to do anything.

and from the look of things she ant going to get nothing.

There just trying to sell guns now
ORIGINAL: ir655

I was browsing a few websites that sell guns and have seen more and more ads saying: "Buy this now before Hillary gets into office!"

I don't want to make this a political thread, I was more curious to how realistic it is that our new President will re-sign the Assault Weapons ban?

I also understand that this is a marketing tool too, seen prices of many assault rifles go up since the ban was lifted.

Any takers?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

there you go i doubt any gun control will be up for atkeast four maybe 8 years and i do not see a dem winning and i can see them lossing the control in congress
ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

well I read a report that during the Gore presidential run, the dems decided to back off gun control, they're reasoning being that after the clintonites pressed the AWB through they lost the presidency for 8 years and control of both houses for 12.
Now about assault wepons, they are short selective fire weapons that can only be obtained by a class III firearms liscense holder, the term "assault rifle" has been dreamed up by the liberals to terrify the un-educated masses.
They wanna prevent us from buying firearms because of a few screwed up people in society, but they wanna legalize smoking dope? do the liberals have any morel values at all?
RR
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

This is from Mike Huckabees website:

[ul][*]The Second Amendment is primarily about tyranny and self-defense, not hunting. The Founding Fathers wanted us to be
able to defend ourselves from our own government, if need be, and from all threats to our lives and property.[*]Second Amendment rights belong to individuals, not cities or states. I oppose gun control based on geography.[*]I consistently opposed banning assault weapons and opposed the Brady Bill.[*]As Governor, I protected gun manufacturers from frivolous law suits.[*]I was the first Governor in the country to have a concealed handgun license.
[/ul]
No candidate has a stronger, more consistent record on Second Amendment rights than I do. Our Founding Fathers, having endured the tyranny of the British Empire, wanted to guarantee our God-given liberties. They devised our three branches of government and our system of checks and balances. But they were still concerned that the system could fail, and that we might someday face a new tyranny from our own government. They wanted us to be able to defend ourselves, and that's why they gave us the Second Amendment. They knew that a government facing an armed populace was less likely to take away our rights, while a disarmed population wouldn't have much hope. As Ronald Reagan reminded us, "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Without our Second Amendment rights, all of our other rights aren't inalienable, they're just "on loan" from the government.
Other candidates say gun control doesn't affect hunting. Now I'm a very avid hunter, but the Second Amendment isn't really about hunting. It's about tyranny and self-defense. The Founding Fathers weren't worried about our being able to bag a duck or a deer, they were worried about our keeping our fundamental freedoms.
I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "Criminals prefer unarmed victims." Criminals will always find a way to get guns. By disarming our law-abiding citizens, we take away the strongest deterrent to violent criminals - the uncertainty that they don't know who is helpless and who is armed. Our law enforcement officials can't be everywhere, all the time. Lawfully-armed citizens back them up and prevent robberies, rapes, and the murder of innocents. Right after Katrina, with law enforcement non-existent, many victims were able to protect their lives, their homes, and their precious supplies of food and water only because they were armed.
Other candidates believe gun control should be determined geographically, but Second Amendment rights belong to individuals, not cities or states. Your Second Amendment rights don't change when you change your address.
Other candidates filed frivolous law suits against gun manufacturers. When I was Governor, I protected gun manufacturers from exactly those types of suits. I allowed former law enforcement officials to carry concealed handguns and removed restrictions on concealed handgun permit holders. I was the first Governor in the country to have a concealed handgun license, and of course I'm a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association.
Other candidates have supported banning assault weapons. When the federal ban on assault weapons expired in 2004, I said, "May it rest in peace." It won't be returning in the Huckabee Administration.
Zealously protecting your Second Amendment rights is another way that I will lift all law-abiding Americans up, by consistently championing your right to defend yourself.

And from Mitt Romneys website:

GOVERNOR ROMNEY: "I believe the Second Amendment is about more than just self-defense or sport; it's about the basic freedom of lawful citizens to live their lives – to engage in the normal pursuits of society without the interference of the heavy hand of government."
[/align]
Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Well guys, thanks for all the responses! Interesting subject indeed, and hopefully they won't pass another restricting bill that punishes law-abiding citizens.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Trouble is with Hillary in office and Pelosi as House speaker and a Dem majority in the senate, opens the door for all kinds of new gun control. The Dems as a party support stricter gun laws.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Briman

I'd imagine that any of the leading candidates would sign a new AWB if it came in front of them (Romney, Huckabee, Clinton, Obama, Edwards), none of them are friends of gun owners, at least one of them are outright enemies of gun owners (Clinton isn't the worst of them either).
I think you're way off base including Huckabee with that particular group.

Anyone who wants to retain the right to buy/own an "EBR" would be best served by NOT voting for the Democrat nominee. Even the worst Republican is going to be better with regard to 2nd Amendment issues than any of the people being considered for the Democrat nomination.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

This is from Mike Huckabees website: [ul][*]The Second Amendment is primarily about tyranny and self-defense, not hunting. The Founding Fathers wanted us to be
able to defend ourselves from our own government, if need be, and from all threats to our lives and property.[*]Second Amendment rights belong to individuals, not cities or states. I oppose gun control based on geography.[*]I consistently opposed banning assault weapons and opposed the Brady Bill.[*]As Governor, I protected gun manufacturers from frivolous law suits.[*]I was the first Governor in the country to have a concealed handgun license. [/ul]
No candidate has a stronger, more consistent record on Second Amendment rights than I do. Our Founding Fathers, having endured the tyranny of the British Empire, wanted to guarantee our God-given liberties. They devised our three branches of government and our system of checks and balances. But they were still concerned that the system could fail, and that we might someday face a new tyranny from our own government. They wanted us to be able to defend ourselves, and that's why they gave us the Second Amendment. They knew that a government facing an armed populace was less likely to take away our rights, while a disarmed population wouldn't have much hope. As Ronald Reagan reminded us, "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Without our Second Amendment rights, all of our other rights aren't inalienable, they're just "on loan" from the government.
Other candidates say gun control doesn't affect hunting. Now I'm a very avid hunter, but the Second Amendment isn't really about hunting. It's about tyranny and self-defense. The Founding Fathers weren't worried about our being able to bag a duck or a deer, they were worried about our keeping our fundamental freedoms.
I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "Criminals prefer unarmed victims." Criminals will always find a way to get guns. By disarming our law-abiding citizens, we take away the strongest deterrent to violent criminals - the uncertainty that they don't know who is helpless and who is armed. Our law enforcement officials can't be everywhere, all the time. Lawfully-armed citizens back them up and prevent robberies, rapes, and the murder of innocents. Right after Katrina, with law enforcement non-existent, many victims were able to protect their lives, their homes, and their precious supplies of food and water only because they were armed.
Other candidates believe gun control should be determined geographically, but Second Amendment rights belong to individuals, not cities or states. Your Second Amendment rights don't change when you change your address.
Other candidates filed frivolous law suits against gun manufacturers. When I was Governor, I protected gun manufacturers from exactly those types of suits. I allowed former law enforcement officials to carry concealed handguns and removed restrictions on concealed handgun permit holders. I was the first Governor in the country to have a concealed handgun license, and of course I'm a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association.
Other candidates have supported banning assault weapons. When the federal ban on assault weapons expired in 2004, I said, "May it rest in peace." It won't be returning in the Huckabee Administration.
Zealously protecting your Second Amendment rights is another way that I will lift all law-abiding Americans up, by consistently championing your right to defend yourself.

And from Mitt Romneys website:

GOVERNOR ROMNEY: "I believe the Second Amendment is about more than just self-defense or sport; it's about the basic freedom of lawful citizens to live their lives – to engage in the normal pursuits of society without the interference of the heavy hand of government."
Romney is a known assault weapon banner, though...

Quick Reply: Question about Assault rifles and the elections...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.