Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger 44 Carbine...What do yall think? >

Ruger 44 Carbine...What do yall think?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 44 Carbine...What do yall think?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Default Ruger 44 Carbine...What do yall think?

I have the opportunity to get my hands on a Ruger 44 Mag Carbine for a very good price. Its not the newer Deerfield model, but yet one of the older models. Does anyone out there have any experiences good or bad with this gun? The Gun is in excellent shape and comes with a
Burris 1 3/4 - 5 scope. Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ruger 44 Carbine...What do yall think?

I never owned one, but a friend of mine had one. I shot about 100 rounds thru it. Did not have a scope on it, but you could roll a coffee can at 50 yards with the open sights pretty easy. One day I would like to have one for myself.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sure looks like a nice one. I like the older ones better than the recently made ones. The .44 Mag. rifle is hell on armadillos!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

I would be interested in buying it if you are not going to? e-mail me at [email protected] if you don't please.
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great Carbine for whitetail hunting..the old milled ones were better then the new investment cast receivers. They cost Ruger too much to make and some "Hunters" didn't think the cartridge would do the trick on deer. If I had my old one back(1980's model) it would not wear a scope.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunting with one since the early 70's. It is one of the older models and I think Ruger only made that model for 10 or so years before discontinuing it.

I eventually had to put a scope on it (my eyesight ain't what it used to be) and I still love it.

I use it exclusively in NH and Maine where my shots are well under 100 yds. My longest shot ever was 70 yds with my .50 cal M/L.

One thing can be said for the .44mag, and this is the truth - no deer of the dozen or so shot -has ever taken more than a few steps after being hit. All kills have been quick and clean.

The Ruger carbineis not designed for long range shooting. IfI see a deer 250-300 yds across a field, I would not even attempt it. However, there ain't afirearm that I would rather have at shots 20-40 yds.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 AM
DM

I really like mine... It's harvested quite a few deer over the years, although none lately...

DM
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have both models. One was my grandfathers and the deerfield I won in a raffle. Both shoot great. My grandfathers has the tube mag and the deerfield has a rotary mag like the 10/22. The tube mag makes the wood in the bottom of the stock very thin as my grandfathers has cracked and I cant find a new stock for it. It cracked from the tube feedalmost to the retaining ring.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have searched all over the internet, and I have yet to read anything negative about it. I am most pleased however with the $200 price tag. I hunt in some pretty thick cover and thought this little rife would be perfect. Do you have any suggestions for what round I should use? I was thinking 240gr hollow points...Thanks

Kyle
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all the replies. I have searched all over the internet, and I have yet to read anything negative about it. I am most pleased however with the $200 price tag. I hunt in some pretty thick cover and thought this little rife would be perfect. Do you have any suggestions for what round I should use? I was thinking 240gr hollow points...Thanks
I thought you said you paid for that gun ..at 200 you downright stole it

Quick Reply: Ruger 44 Carbine...What do yall think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.