Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Rifles - model 16 or 116 >

Savage Rifles - model 16 or 116

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Rifles - model 16 or 116

Old 12-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Default Savage Rifles - model 16 or 116

I am looking at buying a Savage in 300WSM (model 16FLHSS), it is the weather warrior model and it will be in left hand. The main purpose of this purchase will be for hunting of course (probably 85% or more) but I am interested in possibly doing some occasional long range shooting within reason. I’d just like to see if I could wack a ground hog at 500 yards with this thing. I understand anything is possible, but I would also like to maintain some decent accuracy with it as well.. I’d like to keep my groups under 2 inches at 200yards, which most likely for hunting purposes it would be more then good enough out to 300-400 yards in relation to say a 6inch group. As I mentioned it is only for hunting mainly, but wouldn’t mind trying the extreme with a gun that probably isn’t suited for anything else but hunting, but i'd like to try. So before I buy, I’d like to find out what other people are finding out about these Savage Rifles.I’m not expecting this gun to put one hole in the paper at 100, but at least 1inch groups would be nice. If that is possible then I know with the proper dope and things, I should be able to hold at least a 6inch group at 400.

So please offer me some feedback on the pros and cons for these rifles, since i don't know anyone who has one.

I know there ae alot better rifles out there, but i want to make sure the buget i am on wont go to out of the possibliltes. I purchased a brand new Pentax Game Seeker Scope in 4-16x50 and loupold Rings single piece bases and rings.

please offer factual info please, i'm ready to do this now. thanks.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:57 PM

Default RE: Savage Rifles - model 16 or 116

Wouldn't mind some info on it either, since I traded for one in .243 and should be getting it in a few weeks.

I know savages have pretty decent track records though, I owned one in the past and know several that have them as well.

Paul
Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Savage is a good rifle. I have the Mod. 116, fluted, stainless, syn. stock, muzzle brake,in 7mm, mag. Leoupold 4.5X14X50 varix-III. I can shoot groups less than an inch at 100 yds. all day from a rest. Good Luck

I like the synthetic stock for hunting, scratches, etc. but I'm thinking about changing to wood. something to think about before you buy one.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage rifles are generally very accurate. I had a model 16 Weather Warriorin 270 wsm and it was a good shooter. My only complaint with that particular rifle was the stock.It hadthe weakest synthetic stock I have ever seen on a rifle. Midway used to sell a good looking laminate stock for the short action Savages that would definately be an upgrade. Other than the stock, I had no other complaints.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned

i've been hearing that the stock on these Weather Warriorsa are not that suitable for large magnum such as the 300. they tend to flex alot. so my question would be, is the model with the syn. stock the same gun as the model with the wood stock. if so i might just buy anafter market stock such as the laminate from Bell and Carlson. The rifle isn't that expensive so buying a 400+ stock like HS or McMilan might not be smart.

any input. Just trying to get all my facts staright before i pull the trigger and buy one. I'm thinking bout switching back from the WSM to the standard 300 WinMag.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

I've pretty much made up my mind and i've read alot of good input from around the web adn from here. I figured i'd ask people who shoot alot more then i do and get some input. Again thanks.

I'm going to go ahead and buy the 111GL (300WinMag wood stock) and replace the stock with a Bell&Carlson Laminated stock. I've heard the Savage factory syn. really isn't that good and they flex alot.

if that is true, i'll swap it out.

Also, if they action and the barrels are the same on the 11GL vs the 116FL i'll do it also.

they are closed today so i have to wait to get the manufacturers input on the actions and barrels, but stainless vs blued. no biggie to me, unless there is a huge difference in performance. will there be if i go with the blued barrell vs the stainless.[/align]. [/align]
Old 12-31-2007, 02:01 PM

I'm thinking of putting one of the Hogue over molded stocks on mine, like what the Howa rifles have.

Paul