Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi Inertia system or gas? >

Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi Inertia system or gas?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi Inertia system or gas?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi Inertia system or gas?

Hi all. I have begun expanding my hunting and have recently added Sandhill crane and pheasant to my shotgun hunting. before it was only dove that I used a shotgun on. On a recent pheasant hunt, my old shotgun started to stutter on my and finally locked up. This has happened before. So i am in the market for a new on.
I have a mossberg pump that handles 3.5 inch shell and I will use that for turkey and maybe Goose. So I would like to buy a semi auto. I have learned that gas shotguns shoot softer than recoil operated shotguns (like the browning a5 and the benelli inertia drivern) but require more care and cleaning.
So I am looking at the Benelli designs like the SBE II, Franchi I12 and stoeger 2000, all of which use the benelli inertia system. But the Super black eagle is the only one that can use all 3 sizes of shells. The other 2 only handle 3 and 2.75.
Also looking at Winchester X3, Beretta AL391, and Beretta Extreme, Weatherby SAS in gas operated guns.
Here are a few questions.
I know the Super BLack Eagle is the big dog on the block and has incredible record for dependability and recoil absorption (due to the stock and pad). BUT IT IS1400 BUCKS!!! That is coming into the price range o a fin o/u.
***Does anyone have any experience with the Stoeger 2000 and Franchi I12 which use the ineretia system too? The stoeger is around 400 and the franchi is around 800. Plus the Franchi is not so ugly as the other two.
Does anyone have any experience with the Winchester X3, Beretta, or Weatherby Guns?
And do any of you have any experience with BOTH!!???

Thanks
okcmco
Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi Inertia system or gas?

Does anyone have any experience with the Winchester X3, Beretta, or Weatherby Guns?
I have an Extrema 1 which isn't quite as nice as the 2. It might be the finest semi I have ever owned and am astounded how easy it swings and soft it shoots. I regularly take it sporting clays shooting and it absolutely powders clays at any distance. Snap to clean and I have never even had a hint of a problem with this thing. This gun does not have to be babied and the gas system stays nice and clean. Thenew Extrema 2 is about 300 dollars less then a SBE and doesn't give up one iota to that overpriced gun.

Winchester X3 supposedly fires 12 rounds in x number of seconds and is or appears to be a well made gun. Last time I went hunting I didn't think I was allowed 12 rounds in the tube. The styling is way too Euro trash for me as well. Weatherby seems like a nice gun the Italian made model anyway ...if its made in turkey for 800 bucks it is way overpriced as well., I know the country of origin on it changes from time to time.I would buy the Xtrema and not even think twice I like it so much. My gunsmiths son has a Benelli SBE and he never ever thinks about shooting 3 1/2's in it because the recoil is that fierce.

Bottom line is there are a lot of guns out there at different price points. Buy a shotgun from a shotgun company and vice versa.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Spike

The stoeger is around 400 and the franchi is around 800. Plus the Franchi is not so ugly as the other two.

Thanks
okcmco
Yes, I have both a Stoeger 2000 and a Beretta 391.

First, let me state that the issue of gas operated auto loaders being "unreliable" is vastly, vastly, vastly overstated. I've run hundreds of rounds through my 391, maybe even thousands, and everything from 3 inch mags to light target loads. Never has it jammed on me. Not even once.

And what do I do to keep it cycling so well? Do I clean it after every outing, etc? No. I clean it once a year at the end of the pheasant season, or after I think I've run about 200 or more rounds through it if I've been using it for clays. That's it.

The recoil reduction of the 391 is amazing. Others who have shot it also agree, it really does noticeably soften recoil.

Every autoloader will jam if it's dirty. I've even seen Benellis jam because their owners thought they were somehow maintainance free.

I bought the Stoeger as a rainy day pheasant gun and for sporting clays. I see no reason to spend $1000+ on a shotgun simply to run hundreds of rounds through it shoopting clays. It works great, yes it could look better, but it works great.

Grouse

Old 12-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Felt recoil has more to do with gun fit than anything else. Most of the newer models come with shims to adjust the fit of the stock. For all around use a 3" model is usually a better choice for all around use. The SBE's are good choices for waterfowling but, not the best for cycling lighter loads. The recoil of a 3 1/2" waterfowl load out of a semi auto is not that harsh. Shooting a bolt rifle with a magnum cartridge has more kick. A 3 1/2" turkey load kick pretty good though.

Here's a link to a similar question. There are quite a few models listed that would be good for all around use.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=129342
Old 12-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a Benelli fan and have 3 M1 Super 90's, and I also have a Browning A-5. That being said, I prefer inertia operated shotguns. I have owned and shot gas operated gun, but I just like and have stayed with Benellis.

Handle them all, shoot them all, and make your own decision.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I am a Benelli fan and have 3 M1 Super 90's, and I also have a Browning A-5. That being said, I prefer inertia operated shotguns.
I second that!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't go wrong with the stoeger 2000. It is the best shotgun I've ever owned. I've also hunted a few times with the Benelli 391. It is also an extremely nice shotgun.

One thing worth noting is that the new Stoeger 2000 has a hollow tub in the stock. You can place a mercury tube in there for $15. Claims to greatly reduce the felt recoil. I will agree though that inertia shotguns do have more felt recoil. At least that's been my experience.

Tom
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the big knocks I always heard about in regards to Browning A-5's was more felt recoil. HOw is the SBE or any inertia gun any different. They are not is the answer. Browning is just as easy to clean and it's inertia system is accessible .
Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Spike

I prefer gas operated, to me, they are a little easier on the shoulder. They are not hard to clean & just as reliable as the recoil operated.

I've got the X3 & I'm in love with it. Shoots, swings, mounts, & carries great. Best shotgun I've had the pleasure of owning. It is also the best fitting shotgun I've ever had also. Biggest thing is the fit.

Personally, I'd figure what is in your budget then go & start mounting those guns. Get your hands on them, run the actions, mount them like you're shooting them. Fit is everything. There aren't many "crap" guns out there anymore & if you find one that fits you, buy it. My 2 cents.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

FWIW, the Stoeger and Franchi inertia systems are 'similar to Benelli's', not identical.

There weren't many choices for lefties when I decided that I wanted an autoloader shotgun. I have a few thousand rounds through my SBE 1 without a hiccup. Recoil is there but can be managed with a Limbsaver pad and the correct shims. Even with the cheap, low-brass dove loads, never a jam. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the M1. I can count the times on one hand that I've used 3.5" shells in the past seven years and could have done just as well with 3".