Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington to buyout Marlin >

Remington to buyout Marlin

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington to buyout Marlin

Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM

Default RE: Remington to buyout Marlin

A lever action 710....yeah, that's what I need.

In all fairness, Remington makes some very good guns, and some very bad ones....but maybe that's just good business sense, appealing to the masses. I mean, Chevrolet makes an Aveo, and a Corvette....something for everyone.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

all company's do it gun company's cars food bow Hoyt makes reflex
look at the peanut butter recall the good stuff (petter pan was recalled but so was the great value which is half the price and the same stuff

it is all about marketing if you make something and another company does buy them make the guns cheap and junk sell them until the name is no good throw it away and buy another just a way to get raid of a competitor or to sell cheaper stuff

why does mossberg sell 500s but tey own maverick and sell 88s which are 500s with a differnt saftey and no choke because there cheaper made guns so there not going to put there mossberg name on it
ORIGINAL: leben_sie_gut

A lever action 710....yeah, that's what I need.

In all fairness, Remington makes some very good guns, and some very bad ones....but maybe that's just good business sense, appealing to the masses. I mean, Chevrolet makes an Aveo, and a Corvette....something for everyone.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I don't think Remington will ever put thier name on a Marlin gun. Would reduce it's value over night. As for the savings for Marlin because of the ability to buy in bulk, I think that is going to be the downfall. Some guy sitting his a$$ in an office that maybe shoots a gun once or twice a year is going to make a bone headed decision to save what amounts to 10 cents per rifle by buying some slightly different metal or slightly less quality wood and ruin a good gun.

Tom

You think so? I think overall in America, Marlin is considered a cheaper product than Remington. I maybe wrong, but that is just my view of America. So not sure how you would reduce a value of a lever anymore than it is.

For example. I have 3 levers. and none really hold much value. I have a 1895 45-70 with microgroove, and you can't get $300 for that gun, even though new its $450. But I can get new 700's BDL's for $600-$650, and still find buyers for $450 to $500. I have other newer 30-30's that I would be lucky to get $240 for.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

i agree i though marlin was the low if not the lowest on the gun scale and i think levers are a think of the past can not use pointed ammo and there bush guns from what i have always been told

if i bought a cheap gun i think i would buy a remington and it would not be lever action but bolt action
ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I don't think Remington will ever put thier name on a Marlin gun. Would reduce it's value over night. As for the savings for Marlin because of the ability to buy in bulk, I think that is going to be the downfall. Some guy sitting his a$$ in an office that maybe shoots a gun once or twice a year is going to make a bone headed decision to save what amounts to 10 cents per rifle by buying some slightly different metal or slightly less quality wood and ruin a good gun.

Tom

You think so? I think overall in America, Marlin is considered a cheaper product than Remington. I maybe wrong, but that is just my view of America. So not sure how you would reduce a value of a lever anymore than it is.

For example. I have 3 levers. and none really hold much value. I have a 1895 45-70 with microgroove, and you can't get $300 for that gun, even though new its $450. But I can get new 700's BDL's for $600-$650, and still find buyers for $450 to $500. I have other newer 30-30's that I would be lucky to get $240 for.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I couldn't agree more. If anybody benifits in this partnership it would be Marlin. Maybe Remington is interested in Marlin's lever design for something in the future...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really curious to see some more responses here. I think Marlin makes a very nice lever action. While lever actions are some what older they are great guns.

While I know Remington makes and sells more guns that Marlin I don't think very highly of them. Of course though most people only own Remingtons so of course they are the best.

I think Remington makes a cheap disposable gun. I have several experiences to prove it.

Tom
Old 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think Marlin makes a very nice lever action. While lever actions are some what older they are great guns.

While I know Remington makes and sells more guns that Marlin I don't think very highly of them. Of course though most people only own Remingtons so of course they are the best.
I was involved in a business that moved from Conn to NJ a long time ago 27 years ago in fact. The business was right on I95 in North Haven 100 yards from our building was the Marlin Building. Some of my associates were previous Marlin IT people. I took a tour of the facility. They are or were a very conservative company and they really ran an antiquated IT department but they had quite a bit of money invested in QA equipment such as optical comparators at the time. Their receivers were drop forged and then machined... and held based on what I saw to some pretty tight tolerances. It's an old design but a proven design with no cast,MIM or other crap in the manufacturing process. Milled Forged steel and good wood . Only plastic they used was on the buttplate. This latestis just an attempt at market share for a declining market(hunters). Someone gets a nice buyout and Remington(Cerberus) gets market share.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think the marlin lever action it was my first gun ever i never had a proplem with it what so ever but i have always been told that marlin is on the lower end of the gun makers that does not make them a bad gun there just less costly i do not wont to say cheao because there not cheap they just do not cost that much

i also wont to here more about the issue

I'm really curious to see some more responses here. I think Marlin makes a very nice lever action. While lever actions are some what older they are great guns.

I think Remington makes a cheap disposable gun. I have several experiences to prove it.

Tom
Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 PM
bigcountry

I think both remington and martin are ISO companies. So they are required to have an QA department. What most people do not understand is being ISO compliant, means only, "you do what you say and say what you do". What matters is the tolerances and design.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's more like issues.

My family kept guns in a display case in West, TN. There were some very old guns from the 1800's, A TC Contender, two 1187's, and two Baretta shotguns. The only guns in the case that would rust constantly, the Remingtons.

My cousin and I have spent some decent money attempting to fix his 7400 with no results. Didn't work since day one. Just a bunch of junk.

A friend that I've hunted with several times in TN had the bolt handle on his remington 700 break off.

My cousin has a remington 700 that on a good day shoots 3" at 100 yards.

Yes Remington sells more guns than anyone else so of course they are going to have more issues than anyone else but I've experienced enough of them personally or among friends to never want to own one again.

Also price is not always an indication of quality. Check out www.seecamp.com. I don't think there isa higher quality pocket pistol made but the price is very much in check.

Tom

Quick Reply: Remington to buyout Marlin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.