Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington to buyout Marlin >

Remington to buyout Marlin

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington to buyout Marlin

Old 12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Remington to buyout Marlin

Stat, sorry you had so much bad luck. I sure am not saying your lying, cause I see others who say they have bad luck with this gun or that. But never understook all the problems they have had. Maybe I am just lucky when it comes to guns. I trade constantly and can't say I have had the problems you have seen. But I usually test drive my guns before I buy them and buy them mostly used. But the rust example is a strange one. I can keep bare wrought iron and keep it oiled a few times a year and bet I can keep it from rusting. Thats fairly strange.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stat , I pretty much don't agree with everything he says but this hits the nail right on the head. I mean he nailed it. This is from a previous post of mine http://www.chuckhawks.com/finest_bolt_actions.htm
Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I read that chuck hawks article. While I don't have a ton of experience to speak to such a broad article I tend to agree with what he claims makes the best bolt action. I think the Pre-64 Mod 70 is the best I've ever used. I also really appreciate the Winchester 3 position safety. Much more than that I don't have enough experience, been-there-done-that to speak to it.

Tom
Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I read that chuck hawks article. While I don't have a ton of experience to speak to such a broad article I tend to agree with what he claims makes the best bolt action. I think the Pre-64 Mod 70 is the best I've ever used. I also really appreciate the Winchester 3 position safety. Much more than that I don't have enough experience, been-there-done-that to speak to it.

Just read his requirements and you'll very rapidly see why some very popular guns that get advertised a lot don't make the list.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Savage just keeps looking better and better.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 PM
FA
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: statjunk

It's more like issues.

My family kept guns in a display case in West, TN. There were some very old guns from the 1800's, A TC Contender, two 1187's, and two Baretta shotguns. The only guns in the case that would rust constantly, the Remingtons.

My cousin and I have spent some decent money attempting to fix his 7400 with no results. Didn't work since day one. Just a bunch of junk.

A friend that I've hunted with several times in TN had the bolt handle on his remington 700 break off.

My cousin has a remington 700 that on a good day shoots 3" at 100 yards.

Yes Remington sells more guns than anyone else so of course they are going to have more issues than anyone else but I've experienced enough of them personally or among friends to never want to own one again.

Also price is not always an indication of quality. Check out www.seecamp.com. I don't think there isa higher quality pocket pistol made but the price is very much in check.

Tom

I to have had some problems with Remington 700 with the stock cracking everytimeI loaded the magazine and Remington couldn't correct the problem so I finally sold the rifle. I own 18 Marlin levers and have only had a problem with the .444 ejecting shells, Marlin repaired with no charge. Someone said Marlin was a low low end rifle. He apparently never used a Marlin. They keep there guns low in price but with outstanding quality. The actions are velvet smooth and fine looking wood and bluing along with super accuracy.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:10 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: FA
He apparently never used a Marlin.
Now, see, why does one need to make statements like this. Wouldn't it be so much easier to say, "I disagree". Anybody that knows me, knows the only rifle I use in MD is my 45-70 marlin. First deer killed was with a marlin 30-30. Can't someone have a different view without them being stupid, or wrong?

Old 12-28-2007, 06:11 AM
FA
Fork Horn

You are correct sir. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, but it wasn't anything you said that ruffled mine. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, just sometimes statements are made that just ain't true.
Please accept my appologies.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I think comparing Remington directly to Marlin is like comparing apples to oranges. Both make very good firearms. As with any product, both have had their problems. That's just manufacturing, if you make something, therecan always' be problems. Anyone who has worked in manufacturing knows this.[/align][/align]Remington has a broader product line. Bolt action, pump action andsemi-auto center fire rifles and a few carbines. Semi-auto and pump action shotguns. A few rim fires too[/align][/align]Marlin isprimarily a lever action rifle and carbinecompany. Again with a few rim fires. [/align][/align]In my opinion if ahunter was to have say a 30-06 Spr.(or similar cartridge) Remington model 700 and a 30-30 Win.or 35 Rem.Marlin 336 he'd be all set to hunt most big game in this country. And they'd be doing it with quality made firearms. You could say the same things in regards to the Winchester model 70 and 94 as well as other manufactures. Personally I prefer a Remington and Marlin combo myself, just me though.[/align][/align]I hope this works out for all of us. Two good companies in my opinion.[/align]
Old 12-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

show me one manufacture in any field that does not make some kind of bad product

they all make good stuff and bad stuff

Quick Reply: Remington to buyout Marlin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.