Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
blurry sights >

blurry sights

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

blurry sights

Old 01-29-2003, 05:21 PM

Default blurry sights

hi,
i'm nearsighted (have trouble seeing long distance). when i go shooting whether its bow, pistol, rifle i keep 2 eyes open but my sights are blurry but when i take my glasses off i don't see blurry sights, any tips for this?

Stupid HURTS!
Old 01-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: blurry sights

Hmmm. I have a condition similar to that. Try focusing on the sights and then the target sepratly. Other than that, get a different pair of glasses? Tough one.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

If you want to stick with open sights try a receiver sight on your rifle and a peep on your bow your eye will center the front sight naturally. On the handgun it is normal for the rear sight to be blurry as we get older it happens. Focus on the rear to line the sights up then focus on the target. A good scope will fix them all.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:44 PM

newarcher
Your's is a condition I first started to experience about 15 years ago. As I got older (& older) it got worse although it has stabalized over the last 2 or 3 years. I can not get a clear sight picture with open sights either, glasses on - target is clear & sights are blurred, glasses off - front sight is slightly blurred, rear sight is clear & target is blurred. The joys of aging. I have three ways of dealing with this; 1) use a riflescope, 2) use a rear peep sight, 3) use a Bushnell Holo Sight. I have also aquired a pair of prescription safety glasses which I only wear when hunting/shooting. The large lenses afford a large corrected viewing area which makes for comfortable shooting without having to adjust the glasses or change head position to see the sight(s) clearly. gg.

"The older a man gets, the farther he had to walk to school as a boy"
Old 01-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eyes can only focus at one distance at a time, you cannot focus on the rear sight and the front sight at the same time, let alone one or both of these and the target at the same time.

I'm nearsighted also, but I have amuch easier time seeing the front sight of a rifle than the target. Without my glasses on, a 6 inch bullseye at 100 yards looks like a fuzzy blur, with my glasses on it looks a bit sharper if I strain real hard, but this doesn't help my shooting. If you focus on the front sight and hold on your target with the same sight picture whether the target looks like a sharp circle or a fuzzy blotch you will shoot well. A rear aperture sight will help alot with the sight picture. Some of the best shooters I know are old farts who have no right to be able to see anything smaller than a volkswagon at 100 yards yet can still pull off amazing shooting with iron sights because they use a consistant sight picture.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?