Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SAKO 85 ?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:41 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: SAKO 85 ?

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

Can someone fill me in on how the locking lug is different?
Its not there. That big 1" wide recoil lug we are used to seeing has been removed. They still have the groove for it. But say its for heavy recoiling guns like a 375 HH or something.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: richardca9

I actually like the magazine locking feature. You get the hang of it quickly, so I'm not sure why so many people are complaining about this feature.
When removing the magazine, do you use one hand or both hands ?...
Old 01-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Spike

Just one hand. I press lightly against the top of the magazine with my right thumb and push down simultaneously with my right index finger on the magazine release switch. It pops right out. Works great. The magazine just requires very light pressure applied on it near the magazine release so that an inadvertant depression of the magazine release doesn't result in your magazine dropping out of the action. Pretty slick actually.

I took mine out of the stock for the first time yesterday and was surprised to see no recoil lug.I'm shooting .25-06 and wouldn't likely need one anyway, but I wonder if they put them on the .300's. I really didn't study it closely, but it appears that the flange of theforward action screw recess is acting as a lug of sorts. I'm guessing that thereisactually more contact than this, but I'll have to study it moreclosely when I remove it from the stock again.

I have anuncanny amount of trustthat Sako just isn't goingto let a rifle out of theirfactory that's missing something critical in the design. Itis possible thatwe've all become conditioned over our lifetimes tothink we need a recoil lug on a rifle simply because we've never seen one without it!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I asked is because I was at a sporting good store a little while back and this one guy was looking at the 85’s. This guy was new to Sako’s and didn’t know much about them , any ways they handed him the rifle and before they could tell him to use two hands he had the magazine in his hand removed with one hand. The guy behind the counter had a puzzled look and wanted to demonstrate that two hand were required to remove the magazine. I was just curious because I haven’t tried it myself. You should enjoy your Sako. You better be careful. You might not be happy with just one. I know I wasn’t. Have fun shooting...
Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

And it still has the groove for it? This is all sounding kind of half baked. Also, recoil lugs can affect accuracy. I think there is an 85 in the capitol city. I will check it out later this week.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

And it still has the groove for it? This is all sounding kind of half baked. Also, recoil lugs can affect accuracy. I think there is an 85 in the capitol city. I will check it out later this week.
good article is this months American Rifleman. They show pictures of it. I bet if you did a quick search, you might be able to find it on the net.