Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking at .22 pistols - Ruger Single Six or Cheap Semi-Auto? >

Looking at .22 pistols - Ruger Single Six or Cheap Semi-Auto?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking at .22 pistols - Ruger Single Six or Cheap Semi-Auto?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking at .22 pistols - Ruger Single Six or Cheap Semi-Auto?

The Ruger will be more accurate than the Walther...I use mine for squirrel hunting, it's unreal how accurate those guns are...In fact, this past Sunday I went out with my 16 year old daughter to shoot mistletoe...We used the Ruger, she loves to shoot it...

Mine is the 6 7/8 inch stainless steel model with target sights..
Old 12-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

The ruger single six was never accurate for me...

I have had good luck with the browning buckmark and ruger semis....
Old 12-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 4 of the Ruger Mark II's and 45/22's. You will really be pleased with either of those models. Though they are more expensive than the one you are looking at you can find them used for $200 sometimes. If you get a 45/22 when you load the clip take the top bullet and slightly push the tip up otherwise it will hang. It seems to be a design flaw but if you do that it feeds perfectly. I've bought a couple that were only fired a couple times because of that and if you know how to do it it is no problem at all. I've ran well over 20,000 rounds through my Mark II's and probably around 5,000 through the 45/22's without any other problems at all. I used to shoot them when we were at the pond shooting turtles and I could hold my own with my buddies shooting scoped 10/22's.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the Ruger Bearcat- small light and accurate.

MKIIs are good, but are bigger and heavier, mine is pretty accurate but the grip angle is completely wrong on it.

MKIII is a pistol that I will never buy.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Re: single-six- these are plenty accurate enough for plinking and shooting snakes. They aren't as accurate as the MKII, but I find them much more shootable. A MKII is more accurate from sandbags for me, but the Single-Six points better and shoots much better for me- not too many people shoot their handguns from sandbags 100% of the time
Old 12-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Stay away from the brownings. Hard to cycle(for most people with out one heck of a grip)and don't have near the accuracy of a Ruger anything Single action or semi-auto! Years of experience not just an opinion here, period.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Every gun mentioned here is golden in the right hands...I like those Sigs & Walther also, but that's just me...when I shoot .22 pistols it's becasue whatever I'm shooting at is close, I need it to be quick and "minute of moose" MOST importantly it has to be smal and light enough I'll carry it.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

For accuracy, I can't beat my MkII. But I love the convertible cylinder (.22LR/.22WM) of the Single Six, especially when confronted with an opportunity to fill a turkey tag while still hunting deer, which the .22WM is legal for in WY.

One caution - check your game regulations first. In some states, any handgun you carry must be of sufficient caliber to take big game, my "out" has always been turkeys (the game wardensurely wouldn't think I'd waste a good turkey by shooting it with a .30-06?!).
Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Best selling 22lr pistols on the market bar none are any ruger mark III & the Walther P22 in 3.4" or the 5" version, which has a threaded barrel which is capped but remove so you. You need to use cleaner ammo like cci ammo w/ the Walther.
I personally own a Hi Standard Military and a Colt Diamondback. All very accurate....
Steve
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM

I have a Ruger mkII s.s. heavy barrel, it is extremely accurate.

Quick Reply: Looking at .22 pistols - Ruger Single Six or Cheap Semi-Auto?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.