Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun or muzzleloader >

shotgun or muzzleloader

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun or muzzleloader

Old 12-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default shotgun or muzzleloader

ok if you had never shot a muzzleloader before and planed to buy either a muzzleloader or sluggun in may or june and would have 4 months to get to know the muzzleloader and had a mossberg 500 smoothbore

and could use the sluggun from nov 17th to dec second or the muzzleloader from nov 17thto dec 23 which is 3 more weeks
would you buy a muzzleloader or a slug gun
also what are the pros and cons to each and dmax yardages of each

Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: shotgun or muzzleloader

I have never shot a slug gun although I have fired slugs from a smoothbore and have put many many bullets downrange from a muzzleloader. Being from PA I have 4 or 5 flintlocks, a sidelock percussion and an inline. The difference between a smoothbore shotgun with slugs and a muzzleloader is like night and day. The muzzleloader will give you much more accuracy and distance. As I replied to your other post check your game laws before purchasing a muzzleloader to be sure you get one that is legal in your state and the states you may intend to hunt are worth checking too. The most difference between states I have found is not so much the type of rifle but the type of bullets allowed and the type of sights. Of course if your state does not allow a sabotted bullet then I would not be looking for an inline as these are designed for sabots.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

as far as i know i will double check indiana does not have any restrtion as to what muzzleloader or bulelt you can usei know the sabots for slug guns are 2 dollars to 3 or even 4 each
ORIGINAL: PA RIDGE RUNNER

I have never shot a slug gun although I have fired slugs from a smoothbore and have put many many bullets downrange from a muzzleloader. Being from PA I have 4 or 5 flintlocks, a sidelock percussion and an inline. The difference between a smoothbore shotgun with slugs and a muzzleloader is like night and day. The muzzleloader will give you much more accuracy and distance. As I replied to your other post check your game laws before purchasing a muzzleloader to be sure you get one that is legal in your state and the states you may intend to hunt are worth checking too. The most difference between states I have found is not so much the type of rifle but the type of bullets allowed and the type of sights. Of course if your state does not allow a sabotted bullet then I would not be looking for an inline as these are designed for sabots.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

here are indiana gun hunting laws
what type of muzzeloader or slug gun should i use

Legal Firearms

Shotguns, handguns, rifles with pistol cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms season. Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader season. Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms season only. Shotguns must be 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted bullets. Rifled slug barrels are permitted. Combination rifle-shotguns are not allowed.
Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be loaded from the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.
Rifles with pistol cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms season. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the 357 Magnum, 38-40 Winchester, 41 Magnum, 41 Special, 44 Magnum, 44 Special, 44-40 Winchester, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, 50 Action Express, and 500 S&W.

Legal Handguns for
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

The obviious answer is both, but if money is the issue, and it always is...
Here in Iowa you can use a ML during shotgun season, but not vice-versa. Therefore, the most "useful" would be a Muzzleloader. We also have no restrictions on bullet type, modern inline, scope, etc., so the ML is quite effective, except for that quick follow-up shot.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I DO NOT PLAN ON NEEDING A FOLLOW UP SHOT lol

not sure hoe effective a follow up shot is on a running deer but i am sure alot of you can do it
ORIGINAL: USNRETHunter

The obviious answer is both, but if money is the issue, and it always is...
Here in Iowa you can use a ML during shotgun season, but not vice-versa. Therefore, the most "useful" would be a Muzzleloader. We also have no restrictions on bullet type, modern inline, scope, etc., so the ML is quite effective, except for that quick follow-up shot.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

None of us do.......the need for it happens though!

A good friend of mine shot a nice buck this year.He was walking slowly kind ofquartering away at about 50 yards. He aimed behind the front shoulder into the heart/lung area. He shot and the deer's rear dropped and he started to try and run with his front legs while dragging his rear legs. He shot again and that was all that was needed. My friendnoticed when he got out of his stand that he hit a small1/2 inch or so sapling that deflected the first shot enough to cause a bag first hit. This stuff happens.I personally like having a follow up shot. Haven't had to take a follow up shot yet, but it's nice to know I can if I need to.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i would like to have one the advantage to a semi auto but never saw a semi muzzlelader
ORIGINAL: New York Hunter

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

None of us do.......the need for it happens though!

A good friend of mine shot a nice buck this year.He was walking slowly kind ofquartering away at about 50 yards. He aimed behind the front shoulder into the heart/lung area. He shot and the deer's rear dropped and he started to try and run with his front legs while dragging his rear legs. He shot again and that was all that was needed. My friendnoticed when he got out of his stand that he hit a small1/2 inch or so sapling that deflected the first shot enough to cause a bag first hit. This stuff happens.I personally like having a follow up shot. Haven't had to take a follow up shot yet, but it's nice to know I can if I need to.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:14 AM

If I was hunting in Indiana, i would get some kind of rifle (lever, break open or semi-auto) chambered for a pistol cartridge, I wouldn't even consider a shotgun or muzzleloader unless you wanted to hunt a muzzleloader-only season as well...
Old 12-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

well i do wont to hunt the muzzleloader season but i have thought about a pistol cal rifle

Quick Reply: shotgun or muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.