Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun or muzzleloader >

shotgun or muzzleloader

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun or muzzleloader

Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 AM

Default RE: shotgun or muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

well i do wont to hunt the muzzleloader season but i have thought about a pistol cal rifle
In my opinion, that is a hell of a better option than a shotgun w/slugs...

Reasons:

Its hard to find a slug gun with a good trigger (most are regular shotguns with a rifled barrel--you don't need a great trigger on a bird-shooting shotgun)

The slug ammo is EXPENSIVE and the recoil is very harsh!

I have a lot more faith in a cartridge designed to shoot a bullet thru a rifle or pistol barrel from the beginning rather than a shotgun shell modified to shoot thru a rifled barrel that is kind of a retrofit.

Don't get me wrong, slug guns can be deadly, and there are some good ones out there, but I would look for one of the big pistol cartridges (.500 Mag, .480, .460, .454 Casull, etc) in a lever or single-shot (if you are looking to save $$).

Some guys in IN are even using AR-15's that shoot .450 Bushmaster, that's a hell of a deer gun there!

The muzzleloaders are about the same as pistol cartridge rifles (or maybe better at times) with regards to ballistics, but no follow up shot (not a huge deal to me) and they get dirty fast...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

i will look into it which would you buy if you could only buy one this year
ORIGINAL: skin290

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

well i do wont to hunt the muzzleloader season but i have thought about a pistol cal rifle
In my opinion, that is a hell of a better option than a shotgun w/slugs...

Reasons:

Its hard to find a slug gun with a good trigger (most are regular shotguns with a rifled barrel--you don't need a great trigger on a bird-shooting shotgun)

The slug ammo is EXPENSIVE and the recoil is very harsh!

I have a lot more faith in a cartridge designed to shoot a bullet thru a rifle or pistol barrel from the beginning rather than a shotgun shell modified to shoot thru a rifled barrel that is kind of a retrofit.

Don't get me wrong, slug guns can be deadly, and there are some good ones out there, but I would look for one of the big pistol cartridges (.500 Mag, .480, .460, .454 Casull, etc) in a lever or single-shot (if you are looking to save $$).

Some guys in IN are even using AR-15's that shoot .450 Bushmaster, that's a hell of a deer gun there!

The muzzleloaders are about the same as pistol cartridge rifles (or maybe better at times) with regards to ballistics, but no follow up shot (not a huge deal to me) and they get dirty fast...
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Do you bowhunt and what are your dates for both Regular (rifle/M-L/shotgun) and Muzzleloader-specific seasons.

In IL, I bowhunt pretty hard from late Oct to 1st gun season (usually around Nov 15th) and to a degree, I am burnt out a bit, and the public and private ground I have access to hunt pretty much goes dead after the first gun season. Our IL muzzleloader season isn't until a week after 2nd gun season, making it around Dec. 11. Since I very rarely see a deer after November, I have no desire to hunt the muzzleloader-only season.

If your M/L-only season is early, I would get that first, for sure, as it will work for both seasons just fine.

I (personally) would get a pistol caliber rifle eventually, but it would just be for the fun of it, the M/L will work just fine, provided you do your part...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

bow season oct 1st to jan 6th minus the first day of gun season
modern gun season ca also use a muzzleloader is nov 17 to dec 2
muzzleloader season which is ml only is dec 8th to the dec 23 then bow goes on after then till jan 6th
ORIGINAL: skin290

Do you bowhunt and what are your dates for both Regular (rifle/M-L/shotgun) and Muzzleloader-specific seasons.

In IL, I bowhunt pretty hard from late Oct to 1st gun season (usually around Nov 15th) and to a degree, I am burnt out a bit, and the public and private ground I have access to hunt pretty much goes dead after the first gun season. Our IL muzzleloader season isn't until a week after 2nd gun season, making it around Dec. 11. Since I very rarely see a deer after November, I have no desire to hunt the muzzleloader-only season.

If your M/L-only season is early, I would get that first, for sure, as it will work for both seasons just fine.

I (personally) would get a pistol caliber rifle eventually, but it would just be for the fun of it, the M/L will work just fine, provided you do your part...
Old 12-19-2007, 01:05 PM

Sounds like IL seasons, I would get the M/L first if you want to hunt the M/L specific season...if you don't, i would get a pistol-chambered rifle...
Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wont to hunt the most time i can when i go rabbit hunting i have noticed something
when i check in i look at the sign in sheet for deer during early bow season not alot of people on the public land
alot during gun season but the last three times i went out there are only a few out ow which is ml or bow only so i think as the public land goes it would give me a leg up on hunting the public land during ml only season
Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with USNRETHunter. You need both. How about a Prohunter 209x50 with a rifled slug barrel as well? Don't like too much recoil? Get it in 20 ga and have the barrel ported. A 3.5 lb trigger and you've got a great combo.

Oh...I forgot. Money would definately be an issue.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do not like recoil but being as big as iam i can handle the 12 if i do not put it on my arm did that the first day i shot my new 500 only did it once
ORIGINAL: Old/New

I agree with USNRETHunter. You need both. How about a Prohunter 209x50 with a rifled slug barrel as well? Don't like too much recoil? Get it in 20 ga and have the barrel ported. A 3.5 lb trigger and you've got a great combo.

Oh...I forgot. Money would definately be an issue.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally would go with a muzzle loader simply because its a lot more fun to shoot its amazing to see that puff of smoke and that adrenaline rush you get is so amazing

Ryan.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 AM

I've got a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel. I didn't shoot well at all with the slug barrel and started using the smooth bore. It was better but not good enough. I bought a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20 ga this year and love it. Shot as close as1.5 inch groups at 100 yds, and comfortable shooting as far as 150 yds, with theFederal Barnes Expander.I'm just not very impressed with the 500 as a deer gun.