Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Marlin 39a how accurate? >

Marlin 39a how accurate?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 39a how accurate?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Marlin 39a how accurate?

I have one of these its a 1977 model. It is currently wearing iron sights but was wondering how well it could shoot if I put a decent 4x scope on it. Property I hunt on has a ton of squirrels and no one thins them out and they need to be thinned out big time.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Marlin 39a how accurate?

I traded for a 1961 model 39A several months ago and shot it open sights a few times. It was as accurate as my eyes but not to my satisfaction. I had been wanting a "period specific" scope for it, and I recently bought a 1965 model M70 that was scoped with an El Paso made Weaver K4 in Weaver rings. I bought a Weaver base and moved the K4 onto the 39A. It is a sweet looking and shooting rig.

I didn't really answer your question on accuracy. I sighted in the K4 at 40 yards using some cheap Federal ammo, and once I got the scope zeroed, I was able to 5 shots in a dime off a bench. In my opinion, that is not bad for a 40+ year old scope/gun combo.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't really answer your question on accuracy. I sighted in the K4 at 40 yards using some cheap Federal ammo, and once I got the scope zeroed, I was able to 5 shots in a dime off a bench. In my opinion, that is not bad for a 40+ year old scope/gun combo.
If my rifle can put 5 shots into a dime off the bench then I would say it is pretty darn accurate.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy myself.

I was apprehensive to trade for the gun, but I have a friend that strongly encouraged me. He has one too and has told me many times what a tack driver it is, and he told the truth.

He is encouraging me to upgrade my ammo and claims I can do better, but how much better is better?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

He is encouraging me to upgrade my ammo and claims I can do better, but how much better is better?
How much better can it get? right now it is way better then minute of squirrel head accuracy
Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every Marlin I've had has surprised me how accurate they are. I want to get a model 39A it is one of the ones I don't have but I've shot my friends and it is a lot of fun to shoot.