Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 US Military ditching the 9mm, back to the 45ACP! >

US Military ditching the 9mm, back to the 45ACP!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

US Military ditching the 9mm, back to the 45ACP!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: US Military ditching the 9mm, back to the 45ACP!

i think your right a soldier has a m16 for a reason the only thing the handgun is for is close combat it is a secondary gun to me the 9mm is lighter has more ammo but has a little less power a hole on the lung or brain is a hole never the less also what are there chance of either going through armer
ORIGINAL: Briman

True that, but there's a reason why soldiers are issued rifles to fight with rather than pistols. When it comes right down to it, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a .45, 40 S&W, or 9mm. The differences between them is far smaller than the differences between any one and the 556.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

alos my dad told me when he was in the navy in 83 they had 45s then
Old 12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

it is hard for me to understand how people think a guy can take a shot or two to the chest and keep working his gun or moving if you get hit in the lung your down might not be dead but i would not think you would be running around
also to me having 15 rounds in a stock size mag like the ruger p89 is alot better then having 7 in a stock size mag
In the heat of battle, one gets so hopped up on adrenalin that some don't even feel it when a bullet hits them! I recall that when I was in a combat situation on a couple of occasions, I didn't notice anything, didn't even hear the artillery shells landing close by, and had no symptoms at all until everything was over. Then I noticed my hands were shaking, I got nervous as can be all of a sudden, and I started thinking "You could have gotten yourself KILLED, just a few minutes ago"....... But this only happens AFTERWARD. During the action, you are just too busy to worry about anything!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:19 PM

The reason why people do not stop when hit by the 9 mm is because they are all hopped up on drugs, even the chineese and the Jap's did that to their troops in WW II and the Korean war.

The reason why I think that they might want to change is becuse everybody and their brother has a 9mm and if you captured their supplies, you could use their ammo against them.

The Japanese had about 4 different rounds for their 7.7 Jap rifle in WW II and none of them interchanged. The logistics were aweful, but just think of it like this, even if you captured their weapon, if you didn't have the right ammo - you still couldn't use it against the other guy.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

proplem with a off ammo is that if a soldier is in the field runs out of ammo and he can not take any off the dead guys around him he's done for

it think either is ok if it was me and i was going to war i wold wont a 45 but if i was going to be in a city clearing buildings i would wont the 9mm but i guest the .223 rifle would go through the walls and dors just aswell

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

The reason why people do not stop when hit by the 9 mm is because they are all hopped up on drugs, even the chineese and the Jap's did that to their troops in WW II and the Korean war.

The reason why I think that they might want to change is becuse everybody and their brother has a 9mm and if you captured their supplies, you could use their ammo against them.

The Japanese had about 4 different rounds for their 7.7 Jap rifle in WW II and none of them interchanged. The logistics were aweful, but just think of it like this, even if you captured their weapon, if you didn't have the right ammo - you still couldn't use it against the other guy.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

All the 7.7 Arisakas fired the same round. There's no truth to them taking different ammo.