Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thoughts on Poly-Choke? >

Thoughts on Poly-Choke?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on Poly-Choke?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on Poly-Choke?

I put one on a tube and it was worthless. Sent the shot waaaay too far to the left.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Never heard of these.

I think I spent less for a full set of chokes for my O/U--and I have two of each: cylinder, improved cylinder, modified, improved modified, full, and super full.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

What gun are you buying? It should come with at least 3 choke tubes if it is a new gun? I would test your patterns with them before spending anymore money. my 2 cents, you may already have all you need?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why pay some one to reduce the value of your shotgun?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

What gun are you buying? It should come with at least 3 choke tubes if it is a new gun? I would test your patterns with them before spending anymore money. my 2 cents, you may already have all you need?
Remington 870 Express. New, but comes with only 1 choke - Improved Mod. I got it for only $270, so I wasn't expecting it to come with any bells & whistles.

ORIGINAL: Hairtrigger

Why pay some one to reduce the value of your shotgun?
It's not reducing the value of the gun if it's removable. It's a screw-in choke. Plus, I bought the gun to keep and use.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Spike

I just had a poly-choke put on an old extra 870 barrel last week and so far I like it. It is not the removeable type but thats ok by me. You can buy extra rem-chokes for around $15.00, check ebay or guns America and you might do better. I have several guns with screw in chokes and 90% of the time I use the improve cylinder tube. IMHO most hunters would do better with a more open choke than a tighter choke. Most game is taken a 30yds or less so a more open choke is a big advantage. As far as lessening the value of a gun by having a poly-choke put on, it it depends on who wants to buy one. A couple of advantages with the poly-choke is you don't have to carry a choke wrench and extra tubes which sometimes get lost. And how about when your shooting sporting clays you can change with just a quick turn rather than having to remove and install another choke. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chris M

ORIGINAL: speyrjb

Not sure.

Pick one up and tell us what you think
I can't be just throwing money at stuff I'm not sure of. I'm just getting started in hunting, and I've had not one hand-me-down. I've dumped a whole bunch of money over the past year on this 'hobby' - buying a rifle, scope, shotgun, calls, camo, ammo, accessories like slings & gear bags, license, gun vise & cleaning kit, and I haven't even picked up a decent set of binoculars, boots, decoys, and who knows what else. And i'm starting to hear it from my wife. I have to make sure I have some money left over for some flowers and jewelry. I don't think she would appreciate me buying her a .22...come to think of it, that adds another thing to my wish-list. Oh, and I don't have a 4x4, either.
Well, why do you need a poly choke anyways then? Seems to me you might be better served buying the $15 interchangable chokes and saving some money to buy your wife something so she won't complain