Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Swift Scirocco? >

Swift Scirocco?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Swift Scirocco?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Swift Scirocco?

I picked up a couple boxes of these after Thanksgiving, 90 gr. for my .243. I have heard they are accurate, any experiences or thoughts on them?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Swift Scirocco?

I have used them in Remington ammunition and thought they were pretty decent but I have gotten better accuracy with other bullets. I have not handloaded for them.Each rifle is a separate entity unto itself so try them . I know of an outfitter in Colorado that absolutlely loves the job they do on long range elk using a 300 win mag.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Swift Scirocco?

i use them in 270 win., remington brand, not hand loads. from my model 700, they are consistently accurate. I have shot 4 deer with them. One was broadside from about 40 yards, full penetration heart and lungs, left a blood highway, not a trail, one was broadside heart and just below lungs in the major arteries, full pen, dropped immediately, one was quartering toward at 15 yards, front shoulder to lung, did not exit and left no blood trail and very little sign of impact, but died within sight after running 30 yards, one quartering away at about 90 yards, liver and blood vessels and a little opposite lung, no penetration, very little sign at point of impact, no blood trail for about 20 yards, then major blood trail, ran a total of about 50 yards.

I didn't like the lack of penetration on the last two, the poor sign at the impact spot, and the lack of immediate blood trail. However, all the deer had severe internal damage (the best of any of the deer I've ever shot), and did not go far. the ones that got full penetration and even the one that didn't leave a trail for the first 20 yards, left seroius blood, the other left none.

For now, I'm sticking with them for the flat trajectory (all the shots I've taken with them have beenpretty short for me historically, and I like what these should do at 200-250 yards), great blood trail (when present), and the devastating internal damage. However, they are on a short leash as far asexit holes go. The shots where they didn't exit are at least somewhat understandabledue to the bone structure or distance they had to travel through, so I'll give them some lattitude there. But if it becomes a trend, I will at least try out Nosler Accubonds.

Bottom line is - the four deer I've shot with them ran for a combined total of less than 15 seconds, but two of them could have been very hard to find if I had not seen where they ran.