Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington SPR453 Autoloader info? >

Remington SPR453 Autoloader info?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington SPR453 Autoloader info?

Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington SPR453 Autoloader info?

Was browsing Remingtons website (when did Remington get into the AR-15 game?), and noticed the SPR453 12ga Autoloader. The gun looks a lot like the 1100, but is half the price. I'm guessing its one of the latest crop of guns coming over from the Czech Republic or one of the other former Soviet states. It has a 3.5" action and barrel, and comes with a set of 4 screw-in chokes (Cyl, Mod, Full, and X-Full Turkey), and can come with a choice of 24", 26" or 28" vent-rib barrel. MSRP is $483, and GunBroker has them listed at $400 NIB.

I've been wanting an autoloading shotgun for awhile, but a new Model 1100 or Browning Gold are both out of my price range. Does anyone have any experience with the SPR453? What is your opinion of it in general? Reliability? Value for price? Etc...?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 AM

Default RE: Remington SPR453 Autoloader info?

They are made by Baikal in Russia and imported to the U.S. by Remington under the Spartan name. EAA used to and still may import them as well, but under the Baikal name. They have singles and doubles as well. I have one of the single shots and it is ok, no better than a Rossi or H&R in my opinion.

The Spartan 453 is a rebadged Baikal 153. I have actually heard very few bad things about them. Replacement parts would be my biggest issue. Hard to pass up a gun with that many features and from what I can tell functions well for that price. The 453's are not very pretty but from what I can tell they work pretty well.

Sort of like the H&R pardner pump guns from China, except they actually look pretty nice.

Shotgunworld has a whole forum dedicated to the Baikal/spartan guns if you want to check it out.

Paul
Old 12-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington SPR453 Autoloader info?

I've been thinking about getting one for my wife as a trap gun. The adjustable gas system is particularly appealing.

None had been shipped to the U.S. for quite some time a month ago--you couldn't get one if you wanted one. I guess they are in stock now?