Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Who can tell me what about Remington pumps and autoloader rifles? >

Who can tell me what about Remington pumps and autoloader rifles?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who can tell me what about Remington pumps and autoloader rifles?

Old 12-16-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Who can tell me what about Remington pumps and autoloader rifles?

I'm looking for a new, used rifle. I'm considering a Remigton pump or semi, but I've never owned one. Are they capable of shooting minute-of-moose? How reliable? In the pump, is that fore-end wobly and noisy? I want either a .270, .308 or 30-06. I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide on a new gun. As of today, I'm thinking of these. Can anyone help me out?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who can tell me what about Remington pumps and autoloader rifles?

I have owned both the pump and semi and many friends have some of each. Do not waste your money on the semi. The pump on the other hand is very underrated in my opinion. I handload for my .358 and several 3006 and a .280. I am always amazed at the groups I get out these pumps. Yes they do rattle some and in fact are no work of art, but they can lay down the lead like nothing else except a BAR and do it accurately. Buy one you won't regret it. I would go for the 30-06 as you will likely use it on moose at some point.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:02 PM
bigcountry

Well, I have both. One in a 308 and another in a 270. Best I ever get my 7400 to do is 1.3" groups with handloads about same with Winchester powerpoints. Worked for me for over a decade or more. Bad part is the forearm screw puts pressure on the barrel which in turn causes POI changes after cleaning. This sucks. I have had BARs and not had that issue. And more accurate and more expensive. I like the 7600 fine. And if I lived in PA, that would be my gun of choice. I rarely use it anymore however. As I perfer my bolts and sluggun.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Remington 760's were a nice pump gun. I have no experience with the newer Model 7600's.The Model 742 were given the name Jam Masters or Jam-O-Matics for a good reason. They were very unreliable.They were replaced by the 7400's which I have never and would never own.From posts on here they aren't much better.Of the guns you have mentioned I would definately go for the pump 7600.If you want a semi-auto save a little longer and invest in a Browning BAR.I have a old 760 I bought used in 30-06.It's accurate enough for hunting,but it's not a target rifle by any means.I really don't know how old mine is. It was a earlier model which wasn't drilled or tapped for a scope mount.No telling how many rounds have been through it. It's still a tight rifle.I did make a mistake and had the barrel cut down to 17". It still shoots pretty good though.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had four Remington Pumps. I still have a newer 7600 30-06. The Remington pumps will shoot as good or better than many bolt guns. This because the have a good rotary locking bolt and free floated barrel. The one I had in 270 was the most accurate rifle that I ever owned Bar None. I shot 200 yard groups of 3/4 inch several times with Nosler 130 grain Ballistic tips. My new 30-06 7600 had never shot a group over 1 1/2 inches with any load and will usually do an inch group. You can buy one and know that it will be accurate and totally dependable.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:39 PM

No experience with the pumps, but my 742 '06 is good only as a short range brush gun. Even then you'll want to keep the brush away from the ejection port or it will jam on you. If this gun were capable of "minute-of-moose" it would sure be a surprise to me; mine is more like a 3 minute of hog rifle. It DOES reduce felt recoil, though.

If you must have a smi auto rifle you'd probably be better off with a Browning. These are reported to be fairly accurate.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:09 AM

I've said this before, the 2 7600s that I have owned were/are more accurate out of the box than the 4 M700s I owned in similar calibers. Yes, the 700s have better triggers and are easy to tweak but I still own a 7600 and zero 700s. My 308 shoots everything I feed it under 1.5" at 100 and will shoot cloverleafs with 180 grain Core-lokts SPs. I ended up taking the scope off and use this rifle as my main stillhunting/tracking rifle. It has proven to be a reliable, accurate and handy rifle. I own some very accurate bolts and single shots that I'm extremely fond of but also love to get down and dirty with deer in Maine's swamps. My 7600 is what will go with me simply because I have found it to be the best tool for the job.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first biggame rifle was 760 chambered in a .308 then I switched to 3006 a few years later and then bought & still own a 7600(270win) in mint condition at an estate sale cheap thinking it would be a great gun if my kids or wife decided to hunt. All were excellent hunting rifles and never gave me a minutes worth of grief. Accuracy was not a big thing to me when I had the 308 or 3006, but they certainly worked to harvest both deer and moose in my case. The 270 I am impressed with it will hold honest groups of 1.5" with most ammo and I am sure with a little development could drop that some...but plenty good enough for hunting in any regards.

Semi's I would only buy the BAR as they seem to be the most reliable and accurate, however this is just my perception as I have never owned a semi.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Pumps are great and usually accuracy is similiar and sometimes exceeds stock bolt guns. I like the older 760's and feel they were better made but parts may be a problem. Only 742's and 7400's I owned I had problems with and I wouldn't touch them again. If you get a good one the users seem to be satisfield. If I were in the market for a new semi it would be a BAR or a Benelli.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:35 AM

Check out my new 7600...this is the most beautiful rifle I own...of course its in my favorite cartidge...7mm-08. Can't wait to scope it:

Quick Reply: Who can tell me what about Remington pumps and autoloader rifles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.