Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barns for Deer >

Barns for Deer

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barns for Deer

Old 12-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Barns for Deer

I was wondering if anyone uses barns triple shocks for deer. I am thinking of getting a 300 short mag and using the federal premium 165 grain triple shock.
Has anyone had any triple shock experience on white tail?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Barns for Deer

i have used them on a fallow buck that weigehd a good 165 170 pounds and the wound channel was devastating just turned everything 2 jelly buck just froze and folded i was impresed and real accurate
Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

For deer sized game, especially with a 300 WSM, you don't need to spend the extra cash for a premium bullet like the Barnes TSX. They are good bullets but not needed for deer. That is unless they shoot the best out of your rifle. Any 165 - 180 gr expanding bullet would be more than adequate out of the 300 WSM. This chambering is also a bit much for deer IMO. A deer hit with a .308" 180 gr bullet will not know whether it came from a 30-06 or 300 WSM.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never hunted with the Barns TSX however, I have used the MRX...
I lent my bro in law my 30-06 loaded with 180gr. Barns mrx..
Hadn't resighted in with 165gr. Sierra Gamekings when he asked for it
I knew better than to give it to him but did regretfully did anyway.
These bullets dumped two bull moose in their tracks the first one I shot at (was just providing backup) for my cousin who shot at it first, nosed dived
into a pile on a dead run at over 200yrds away.....
The second moose dumped into a pile at less than twenty yrds away.....
However, I woundn't suggest them on deer, at least the 180gr. anyway..
165gr. is probably the same as well....
My coiusin ended upkilling the mule deer, but the bullet is way over designed for these animals..
It exited allright, Pretty much penciled in and out, and the deer ran over a hundred yrds before it was found and a second shot needed to finish it off....
He was damn lucky to even find it,twosmall pools of blood were it was standing when it got shot (behund the shoulder)at drops here and their afterward....
There was very little blood to follow the farther it went..
Good thing there was snow on the ground....
Now I don't know(I wasn't there,) possibly maybe the shot placement was a high or too low,but even if it was, with a more rapid expanding bullet especially (behind the shoulder )would've probably sent rib and other bone matter sailing through the vitals and diaphram killing faster and more humanly......
Never again will THESE BULLETSBE USED FORDEER....
Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to remeber that these are deer we are hunting and they don't wear body armour. For a century they were killed with big flat lead nose bullets before all the big premiums came out and those bullets still kill deer. Save some money and get some cor-loks, unless the barnes shoots best out of your rifle.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Load down the 300 wsm to 06 speeds and use a 150 grain Corelockt,Sierra ,Hornday slug.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Spike

Keylargo, You have got more than enough gun for any member of the deer species. The TSX will offer you more than enough bullet for deer and elk for that matter. That being said The TSX wont fragment like most cup & core bullets, which generally is a good thing.

Personally I like the idea of a no lead low fragmenting bullet for a meat hunt, as you will likely experience less meat damage. Also you will eliminate any concern of contaminating meat with lead. With a reminder of proper bullet placement, one may come up with a lot less expensive bullets that have a great track record on taking down deer.

A 130-grain TSX has been working splendidly for me from the 270 Winchester for my deer hunting the last two years. In previous years a 100-grain cup & core bullet from a 6mm Remington served me well also for deer hunting purposes.