Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The bad rap on Ballistic Tips >

The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Default RE: The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

ORIGINAL: jorkep

newsflash, i guarantee you that every single bullet ever made has failed at one point or another.
check these comment from reloadersnest.com out (BTW lose the attitude):

The nosler ballistic tip is a good bullet if loaded below 2950 ft per second. if loaded above that bettet seperates i have shot many rifles and had same results 165 gr and heavier are good to same fps, they shoot good on paper but would not say they are good for all around game there are many other good bullets out there to choose from. premium bullets were made for hunting ballistic tips were made for punching paper ask the pros, it is stated in just about every major magazine. lost the largest south texas whitetail to a nosler ballistis tip i wont shoot them again except for varmits or paper

Submitted by: bowbroadhead

Shot many deer with nos. bt. ------150 gr. 30-06 40 yds made no exit bullet disintgrated--257 rob nos bt 40 yds from treestand hit behind shoulder bullet disintegrated and ran down the rib cage frags exited brisquit---30.06 150 bt broadside jacket seperated no exit... all deer recovered with some effort and luck have had absolutly no problems with nosler partitions on game at anytime stick with partitions on anything larger than varmints

Submitted by: dan boyle

I have had less than favorable results with the Ballistic Tip bullet. I shot whitet tail deer with the bullet. Tracked them all over 1/2 mile. I shoot a 7 mm rem ultra mag. The 140 grain ballistic tip acts more like an explosive bullet than a hunting bullet in deer from this rifle. They separate on impact with the shoulder blade. Very little damage behind shoulder blade. Never achieved exit wound. Retired ballistic tip in favor of Barnes X.

Submitted by: Georgia
[align=left]Date: 11/16/2005 [/align]

Rifle used: 700 custom
[align=left]Caliber: 7mm ultra mag[/align]

Hunting performance: 1
Accuracy performance: 5

I have been using the Nosler BT in a variety of calibers for years. The bullet has taken at least 15 whitetails for me. Unfortunately, I had an extremely bad experience last season. At 80yds I shot a buck quartering toward me. The deer ran closer to me at 25yds. after being hit and stopped. I watched him for a moment expecting him to drop. He didn,t and took off full tilt. I had to shot him again. I found out what the problem was when I was gutting him. The first BT bullet completely seperated. I found the copper jacket, with no lead inside it, rolling around in his chest. The lead core had disintigrated into tiny fragments, which I also found inside the chest. There was no exit wound and no evidence of any damage on the exit side. The bullet was a complete failure. The deer was not bleeding from the first wound nad would have been difficult to recover without the second shot. Not Good!

Submitted by: Painless
Now granted there where many who commented that they have had no problems what so ever from them. My point is that there seems to be too high an occurance of failures to suit me. I believe you would be hard pressed to find similar comment about the Nosler partition, Barnes TSX, Sierra Gameking, Trophy bonded BearClaw, or even the Remington cheapos (forget name). I had the experience and it soured me on them. If you wish to continue using them.... then by all means do so. I hope you never experiencea failure like I did.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis
check these comment from reloadersnest.com out (BTW lose the attitude):
i don't really have an attitude. i actually think people like you are quite comical, and those reposts actually only make me laugh harder.

the internet - a place where anybody can make up anything
Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Okay kid,

I can tell when I'm being played.... But I can assure you that I am not making anything up. what do I have to gain by fabricating a story such as this. I think that most on here would agree that I'm not prone to hyperbole and stretching the truth.

Believe whatever you want to believe.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Ballistic tips are CRAP. No one with any shooting knowledge would ever use them for any big game animal.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Okay kid,

I can tell when I'm being played.... But I can assure you that I am not making anything up. what do I have to gain by fabricating a story such as this. I think that most on here would agree that I'm not prone to hyperbole and stretching the truth.

Believe whatever you want to believe.
i might be more inclined to believe these numerous failures if there was evidence. i just never see any evidence posted. it's always a story. your story is a little tough to swallow. i would definitely like to see pictures of that bullet or what was left of it.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

But I've never had a failure with my Sierra gamekings, or Nosler Partitions so I won't be experimenting again anytime soon.

Well some people have experienced failures with the partition,even though you haven't.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1828085/page/1#Post1828085

From the link above.

But the reason it didn't penetrate all the way is shown below. The picture doesn't make it too clear, but the bottom of the jacket is hollow. The lead core that should be beneath the partition was gone.
Yep, same thing happened to me about a dozen years ago... The bullet was a 130 Partition shot from a .270 Win into an elk about 80 yards away. All that I recovered was the piece of copper tubing like you have in your pic. The piece of copper was found on the far side and under the hide, so the bullet almost exited on the broadside elk.
Being that I"ve seen same with Partitions, and thats what drove me away from them, failure to penetrate 2 fairly simple shots where I thought the partition should shine, that was the point in life I swayed to mono bullets.
Ever since my 180 partition, 30 cal, 300 wtby appx 3127 IIRC, hit a 225 pound whitetail in the neck at under 150 yards, and stopped on THIS side of the neck, I"ve avowed those bullets as possible problems. That took another shot. So did a stem to stern one same load in a Nilgai, shattered hip joint and stopped....
Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
DM

Well some peoloe have experienced failures with the partition,even though you haven't.
What some folks may call a failure others won't... Of course this can be said for all bullets, and that's why there's so many differing opinions here...

I've never had a partition fail to do what the maker said it would do, but i have had "three" partitions that i can remember, thatdidn't pass through...Does that mean they failed???

I like my bullets to exit, but i wouldn't say those threepartitions failed... All three of them broke a lot of heavy bone and still gave good penetration...

DM
Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok I usually stay out of this stuff because it is a bicker session....BUT.... There has been some really rediculous stuff said. For 1: For true accurate test info please refer to a Nosler reloading guide, the info used is accurate and helpful. That said, I am on the bandwagon with stubble, rammer, and some of the other guys I "know" and know that they know their stuff. BT's are great hunting bullets across a variety of ranges. The closer you hit a critter and faster said bullet impacts, the more agressive the expansion will be....i.e. (Have shot many a deer with BT's and a Pronghorn or 2) have 2 150 grainers out of a 308 recovered from oppsite hide on 150# whitetails - MV 2900FPS Range 20-30 yards. Bullet size >2x diameter. I have a few others that were from 200+ yds on quartering deer...they look like textbook mushrooms. Never a failure the polymer will not melt, it is there for aerodynamics at long ranges and to promote expansion to an extent. The jacket on HUNTING rated BT's is tapered and engineered for HUNTING expansion! I get tired of people saying the a bullet is the cats meow in a 300 WSM but licks the big one out of a 300 Win Mag and other silly comments. To take it one step more: A 150 Ballistic tip out of a 300 Mag (at standard 150 velocities)impacted at 200 yards will react similar to the same bullet out of an '06 or 308 at 100 yards yielding desirable performance.

That said they are not the best close up mega magnum bullet but they are a good quality hunting bullet IMO.

Sorry for my rant.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

newsflash, i guarantee you that every single bullet ever made has failed at one point or another.
I'm not even trying to say that Ballistic tips fail. I think they do exactly what they are designed to do. After all they are just hollow points with pretty plastic nipples snapped into the hole. And why are bullets given a hollow point? To make them expand much more rapidly. The more rapidly a bullet expands and increases its frontal surface area the less it will penetrate. That being the case I think that their ability to pentrate on sharp angled shots is suspect. When I take a bow into the woods I am content to wait for perfect shot angles. I consider it part of the challenge of bow hunting. But when I carry a rifle into the woods I do not expect to have to wait for perfect shot angles. Thankfully with a more structurally sound bulletI don't have to.

i don't really have an attitude. i actually think people like you are quite comical, and those reposts actually only make me laugh harder.
Laugh all you want butI have seen some pretty awful results from ballistic tip bullets. The average shot distance whereI hunt is less than 100 yards. That being the caseI think the impact velocity is just too high. End result, violent overexpansion, fragmentation and poor penetration. I have only rarely seen them exit even on broadside shots. This is no big deal if the deer drops and dies right there. God help you however,if they run even 100 yards into an Alabama briar thicket with just that tiny entrance hole to leave you a virtually non-existent blood trail. Trust me grid pattern searching such a place with a flashlight at night is not a funexperience. You will look like you have been dragged behind a truck ona gravel road. Far better to follow a nice blood trail pouring from an exit hole straight to the animal.

the internet - a place where anybody can make up anything
Yeah, you mean like the stories were people have killed 60 deer with ballistic tips and never had one run even one yard. And on everyone of those 60 shotsthe ballistic tip fully penetrated the animal even if it was ass to nose and had to strip through two trees before it got to the deer. Your're right those are funny.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

After all they are just hollow points with pretty plastic nipples snapped into the hole. And why are bullets given a hollow point? To make them expand much more rapidly. The more rapidly a bullet expands and increases its frontal surface area the less it will penetrate. That being the case I think that their ability to pentrate on sharp angled shots is suspect.
The Barnes mrx is a hollow point with a poly tip in the hole,yet I don't hear many people complaining that they lack penetration.

Quick Reply: The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.