Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The bad rap on Ballistic Tips >

The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Old 12-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Default RE: The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Here is my opinion, ballistic tips were designed as varmit bullets, that is still what they are best used for. hunters liked the name and wanted to use them on deer, (amazing what a catchy name will do for marketing) Hornady made some changes to the basic design and produced them in larger calibers for bigger game. ballistic tips do exactly what they were designed to do, they fragment. (they dont explode on impact, and the poly tip doesnt burn off). Its a judgement call that every rifleman has to make, what he wants in a bullet. Personally I dont like ballistic tips, I will almost gaurantee that you will get much better terminal performance from a Sierra Game King bullet than you will from a Ballistic Tip. But if you like them and are confident in them, you should use them. Its great to have a country where you can have all these choices, isnt it? Anyway, happy hunting and good luck!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all that have replied. I have learned a lot about the ballistic tips which was my intention for starting this thread. I have read enough to believe the ballistic tips in my 7mm-08 140grn and 308 150grn will take all the deer I would like. Thanks again for all the replies.

Scott
Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is my opinion, ballistic tips were designed as varmit bullets, that is still what they are best used for. hunters liked the name and wanted to use them on deer, (amazing what a catchy name will do for marketing) Hornady made some changes to the basic design and produced them in larger calibers for bigger game.
I hate to break the news to you,but Nosler makes the ballistic tip not Hornady.And if you are calling all bullets with a poly tip ballistic tips,you must include the nosler e-tip and accubond,barnes mrx and ttsx,swift scirocco,hornady interbond,and some others.So are you going to tell us that bullets like the mrx,ttsx,e-tip,accubond,scirocco and interbond were designed to be varmint bullets?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 PM

From my experiences they work well. Every deer I have shot so far dropped on the spot. Im also using Winchester Supreme Balistic Silvertips. .308 in 150g and work real well.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 PM

Excuse me stubblejumper, i did make a mistake there, yes the ballistic tips are made by Nosler. No i didnot say any other bullets were designed as anything, But yes, the Nosler Ballistic Tip was designed as a varmint bullet. I dont think i said anywhere that all poly tipped bullets were varmint bullets. I didnt even say anything bad about the bullets, I did say i prefer a different bullet. sorry, maybe i should have kept my opinion off of this forum.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Excuse me stubblejumper, i did make a mistake there, yes the ballistic tips are made by Nosler. No i didnot say any other bullets were designed as anything, But yes, the Nosler Ballistic Tip was designed as a varmint bullet. I dont think i said anywhere that all poly tipped bullets were varmint bullets.
When you mentioned Hornady,I logically assumed that you were not in fact talking about the ballistic tip made by nosler.As such,it is also logical to assume that you were referring to other bullets with poly tips.As to the ballistic tip being developed as a varmint bullet,perhaps you should read page 4 of the Nosler loading manual number three.It gives the history of nosler bullets,and it specifies exactly why the Nosler ballistic tip was developed.The ballistic tip was developed to prevent the bullet tips from deforming from heavy recoil in the magazines of magnum chambered rifles.So the Nosler ballistic point was originally developed for big game hunting ,unless of course you hunt varmints with heavy recoiling magnum cartridges.Or unless you know better than Nosler,the company that developed and markets the Nosler Ballistic Tip?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Wow, first i didnt assume anything, i made a mistake while typing my response, Ieven admitted to that. (see above post). Maybe you areASSUMING to much.I think i will stop now, sorry to have ruffled your feathers, like i said in my first post, your hunting bullet is your choice and should be the one you are comfortable with and have confidence in. personally i dont care if you use spit balls.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think that Nosler BT's are not hunting bullets, then you might want to tell Nosler. Apparently they think that they are making hunting bullets.

Ballistic Tip® Hunting
Hunting's Deadliest Deer Bullet
*NEW FOR 2008 - 30 caliber 168 grain Ballistic Tip®*

Nosler, Inc. is pleased to introduce the new 30 caliber 168-grain Ballistic Tip®. The world’s leading manufacturer of premium grade hunting bullets added the 168-grain Ballistic Tip® to enhance the already highly versatile lineup for deer and antelope hunters.

The Nosler 30 168-grain Ballistic Tip® is designed for match type loads and to provide hunters with a predictable and forgiving bullet for unpredictable and unforgiving situations nature throws their way.

Don't be fooled by cheap imitations, we have been making this bullet for over 20 years. In a perfect world there would be no changing winds, no hunting pressure, no wary, spooked, or running game that might require a fleeting or distant shot. And all it would take to bring down that trophy buck would be a textbook, 100-yard broadside shot.

Fortunately for us, the real world of hunting is a bit more challenging than that. In fact, the more you hunt, the more you realize how unpredictable and unforgiving nature can be--which is why we engineered the Ballistic Tip® Hunting bullet to be very predictable and extremely forgiving. For detailed reloading information click here.
Taken from Noslers website about the new 168gr .308cal Ballistic Tip (http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=3)

I used to be in the same anti-BT camp because I believed the myths, until some folks here corrected me.

Go to Noslers website and see for yourself. Nosler makes two bullets with the Ballistic Tip name. One is for varmints and the other for big game. The Ballistic Tip Varmint version includes all the BT's in .204 and .224 cal, and the 55gr .243"cal and 85gr .257"cal. All of the heavier .243" and .257" BT bullets are hunting bullets, and ALL BT bullets in calibers 6.5mm (.264") and larger are hunting bullets.

I guess they don't teach people how to do research in the public schools anymore. [&:]

Mike

Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I guess they don't teach people how to do research in the public schools anymore. [&:]

Mike
Nope, only how properly cite the sources you paraphrase... which is all a research paper is anyway... long roundabout rants of plagerism connected with lots of prepositional phrases and run on sentences.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 AM

I've killed several deer with the Federal's .308 Premium loading with ballistic tips. So far I've never had one completely penetrate a whitetail. I sure wouldn't use this load for elk, because I'd be concerned about penetration, but it does seem to drop whitetails quickly.

Quick Reply: The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.