Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Heavy Barrel Accuracy - How Much Better? >

Heavy Barrel Accuracy - How Much Better?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Heavy Barrel Accuracy - How Much Better?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heavy Barrel Accuracy - How Much Better?

Okay, I've been toying with getting a Marlin .22 WMR for a while now.

I almost bought an older Marlin 882 SS model that is still for sale at a cheap price ($225 shipped with a crappy Simmons 3x9x40 scope) but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

Originally I was going to buy it just because it is a good deal, but after researching it to death and debating between the .22 WMR and the .17 HMR I am leaning toward buying the Marlin 982 VS - CF with the heavy barrel instead. I can buy one brand new here locally for $330 + tax and then I need to find a cheap scope to put on it.

So I have to decide if it is worth the $100 for the heavy barrel which is the biggest difference between the 2 models. The used one looks to be in great shape otherwise.

I would be regularly taking 125 yard shots with it. I would have it sighted in 2" high at 100 yards so that would put the .22 WMR dead on at 125. Intended targets are raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, crows, an occasional coyote and possibly a turkey (it's legal to shoot a turkey with a rifle here in Texas).

I have a 2 year old son that would likely grow into this becoming his first rifle to use on small game as well. My current arsenal includes a Ruger 10/22 in stainless, a Ruger Single Six with the .22LR and .22WMR cylinders, and a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. At some point in the future I will either be buying a .223 or .243 or .270 for my son for his first deer rifle.

All my guns except the Single Six are synthetic stocks with stainless barrels.

So what are your thoughts? Is there going to be a noticeable difference in accuracy with the heavy barrel? Is it something that is more noticeable in the field than at the range?

Is it worth spending an extra $100 - $150 on it?

Thanks, Nathan
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heavy Barrel Accuracy - How Much Better?

I hate to break it to you but a heavier barrel is not always more accurate than a sporter weight barrel...There is more to it than that...

I've seen some 541s with sporter weight barrels that were extremely accurate...

Each rifle is different...Kinda like women...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

The heavy barrel doesn't make it more accurate. It only makes it heat up slower, so your groups dont start moving around as fast as with a sporter barrel. Heavy barrels are nice at the range, and you will think they shoot better, but if you compare a group of cold shots vs a group of cold shots you shouldn't see any difference. If its a hunting rifle, I'd go with the sporter because I'm lazy and dont want to totea heavy barrelall day. For a range toy, heavy barrels are sweet.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:19 PM
bigcountry

A heavy barrel does a few things.

1. Makes the barrel whip more forgiving. It's more rigid and should be easier to find a load that works.
2. Heats up slower but cools down slower too.

I find heavy barreled guns are much easier to relaod for. Less finicky on bullet depth.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger (pun intended) and bought the 882 SS with the regular barrel. I doubt I'll be shooting it enough to warrant the barrel heating up too much on a .22 WMR and the price is sure right. Knowing me by the time I ended up finding a scope for the 982 VS - CF plus tax and all I would end up pretty close to $500. It would be a better gun, but I don't think it would be twice as good.

Last time I was looking to buy a gun on this forum a guy gave me some great advice. "You're not marrying the gun, if you don't like it you can sell it." I'm sure I could get my money back out of the 882 pretty easy if I don't end up liking it.

Thanks for the input.

Nathan
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Assuming the barrels are cut, rifled and chambered with equal precision, the heavy is "more accurate" for twpo basic reasons: Its vibration pattern is smaller, so it throws the bullets less off the axis of the bore. It heats more slowly and more evenly, so the muzzle displacement is smaller as you continue shooting.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Assuming the barrels are cut, rifled and chambered with equal precision, the heavy is "more accurate" for twpo basic reasons: Its vibration pattern is smaller, so it throws the bullets less off the axis of the bore. It heats more slowly and more evenly, so the muzzle displacement is smaller as you continue shooting.
But the question is "How much more accurate"? Are we talking 1" MOA better or .1" MOA better?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's the $64,000 question...As I stated, it may be no more accurate...

Actually after posting I did remember that one nice thing about heavier barrels is that the weight makes them hold steadier...This can help, but who wants to lug around a heavy rifle when hunting...

As far as barrel harmonics, that can be adjusted to the load by reloading, adding a shim between the barrel and stock, even changing the tightness of the screws holding the action to the stock...

Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few other advantages of a heavy barreled rifle are: More consistent cold shot accuracy, less temperature sensitive, dissipates heat more rapidly, weight forward = less and slower movement, much more accurate than pencil barrels or fast taper, balanced harmonics and much less recoil for a faster follow up shot.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

But the question is "How much more accurate"? Are we talking 1" MOA better or .1" MOA better?

That question is virtually unanswerable. For most of the many reasons so far stated, the heavier barrel is generally considered to be more accurate. If you go to any long range shoots, that is what you're going to see. But that barrel alone is only part of the equation for having a super-accurate rifle. Action work, truing, lapping lugs, ignition timing, bedding, etc. are all part of the picture, along with finiky handloading.
Just because you buy a gun with a heavy barrel is no guarantee it will automatically out-shoot a sporter weight barrel in the same make/model/cartridge combo. It could have the better chance to so so, but it is no certainty. And to try to define the degree of possible improved accuracy is a pie-in-the-sky guess at best.

Quick Reply: Heavy Barrel Accuracy - How Much Better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.