Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gunsmiths...rebarrel Savage w/o barrel nut? >

Gunsmiths...rebarrel Savage w/o barrel nut?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gunsmiths...rebarrel Savage w/o barrel nut?

Old 11-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gunsmiths...rebarrel Savage w/o barrel nut?

The idea of rebarrelling my .30-06 in .280 Remington AI 40 deg has been bouncing around my head. Shilen makes barrels for the Savage that take advantage of the barrel nut, whereby a person with a couple tools can rebarrel a Savage himself. But then I got to thinking, why couldn't a gunsmith rebarrel a Savage without the barrel nut, using a threaded barrel than had a conventional larger shoulder turned to match the OD of the receiver just like every other manufacturer does?

There's no doubt that the Savage makes a good action that can produce excellent accuracy, but many complain about appearance because of the barrel nut. If possible, this would solve this problem.

Any input? Stalkingbear (or other 'smiths)?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gunsmiths...rebarrel Savage w/o barrel nut?

The smith would probably have to fabricate some kind of Barrel-Nut-Shroud to cover the exposed threads on the outside of the receiver.....unless you were ok with with the exposed exterior action threads. And when all is said and done, why not just use the barrell nut .... it works just fine.....

I have to admit I've never taken a peek at a Savage with the barrell nut removed, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But I figured the barrell theaded INTO the receiver and the barrell nut jammed the barrell in place by then threading ONTO the receiver like a lock nut
Old 11-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

But I figured the barrell theaded INTO the receiver and the barrell nut jammed the barrell in place by then threading ONTO the receiver like a lock nut
The top pic is a Adams & Bennett replacement barrel for a Savage 110 series that utilizes the barrel nut. Note how the threads are straight to the taper, some of which would be concealed by the nut when installed. The barrel nut acts as a locknut.

The bottom pic is two barrels with conventional threading. The top barrel is threaded for a Stolle action and the bottom is threaded for a Remington 700. Note that the barrel is tightened against the shoulder of the barrel.

Mike

Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what the problem is. Wouldn't let me post both pics in one post. Here's the Savage pic. This is not the Adams & Bennett barrel, as that pic wouldn't work. This is actually a Remington take-off barrel that's been rethreaded for a Savage 110 by cutting down the shoulder as shown above and threading the entire length of the cylidrical portion of the barrel.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I got it. The Barrel nut just jams back against the receiver using the threads off the barrel.

I see what you mean, and certainly a smith could do this, at a cost for labor and materials.

Now, though, I'm curuios to see a pic of a savage 110 with barrel and nut removed.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

The idea of the barrel nut is to act as a jam nut. It makes headspacing and assembly a quicker processduring manufacturing/fitting.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

This site will only permit you to post one pic per post. And it will not accept ANY pic over 100 K in size....