Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Making a Barrel for a Savage 99 Take-down >

Making a Barrel for a Savage 99 Take-down

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Making a Barrel for a Savage 99 Take-down

Old 02-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Making a Barrel for a Savage 99 Take-down

Attention Gunsmiths!!! (or anybody that might know the answer to this question)
I have a BEAUTIFUL Savage 99 featherweight Take-down model with the straight stock grip (no pistol grip) rear Redfiled receiver peep, and it is a great shooter chambered in 300 Savage. Made in the late '20s
I know that Savage made some of these take-down models with presentaion cases and 2 barrels....most of these 2 barrel combo's were in 250 and also came with a .410 barrel. If you have one of these you are holding a very valuable piece.........
NOW, my question is....since Savage produce these guns with 2 barrels, a competent gunsmith should be able to fabricate a take-off barrel for my take-down receiver, and I'm sure a few of you might know smiths that could do this...BUT HOW MUCH WOULD THIS RUN ME? I'd be willing to part with a decent chunk of change to have such a sweet combo, but I don't know if the chunk I'm thinking is small enough for me to afford.
Any ideas ladies and gentlemen?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:39 PM

Default RE: Making a Barrel for a Savage 99 Take-down

That is not really a big deal but you would be looking at a couple of hunderd depending on what you wanted for a chambering. One thing you have to keep in mind is the length of the action or more to the point the mag. For example the .410 you mentioned is rather short like 2.5" I think and in a .300 you could not go for example to a .358 without machineing out the mag and cutting back the bolt stop. The bolt stop is no problem but the mag is! Now if you wanted something like a .250 barrel not a problem.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply. If the lengths were similar but the cartridge profile different as in your example of the .358, could one swap out the rotary magazine follower? ( I think Savage calls it a 'carrier')
Would I be pretty limited then in the chamberings I could consider? I was hoping to consider going up or down far enough to give the firearm some real range with the 2 calibers. The 250 wold be great.....anything you can think of on the "bigger" side that wouldn't involve too much modification? The .358 would be great.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

BUMP...
Anybody else have some opinions on this? Very curious to see what the gunsmiths out there think about this. Judson was kind enough to give me his 2 cents...and I am pretty serious about this project...maybe even for 2 different barrels, but only if I can avoid modifying the original bolt face and the rotary magazine follower (carrier). I wouldn't want to change any of the origianl parts in getting this done.