Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Power Level Ammo >

Power Level Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Power Level Ammo

Old 11-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Power Level Ammo

Does anyone have experience with Remington's new .30 cal power level ammo? The idea is similar to the use of 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shells in the same shotgun, but applied to a centerfire (30-06, 300 win mag, 300 RUM in this case). It seems theoretically interesting but I wonder if there's a problem with consistency. I also wonder what other calibers this idea could apply to (7mm-08, and 7 mm RM comes to mind).

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/power_level.asp
Old 11-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

Default RE: Power Level Ammo

It's kinda the same idea, except I don't know of any 3 1/2" shotshells loaded with 7/8 oz. of #9's for skeet. Personally the RUM and 3 1/2" are losers in my book. The 300 RUM is a poor seller, in my opinion. So they download it to make it appropriate for lighter game. Problem is that most North American game can be taken with the 30-06, so why the overkill? You get to choose one gun, and basically one brand of ammo. Good for Remington, bad for you. If I had to choose, I would just buy a 300 Win Mag, and have a ton more choices in guns and ammo.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill just buy the right amount of gun for the job. If only 2 or 3 calibers were available, yeah, power level ammo would be a good idea. This product is for those guys who shoot the biggest super ultra whizzbangmagnum they can get their hands on. Now they can buy some ammo and shoot with their eyes open.

These opinions are mostly in jest.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now they can buy some ammo and shoot with their eyes open.
Ain't that the truth!

Ill just buy the right amount of gun for the job.
We have a winner! What do you have for him, Johnny? [8D]

I think this is exactly the point. The .300 RUM maybe has a role as a specialty cartridge useful for very specific hunting situations most of us will never encounter, or at least not regularly enough to need such a cartridge. If you need a .30-06, buy a .30-06.

I think that the Power Level ammo is Remingtons attempt to save the grossly overbore barrel burner from a slow death, or maybe to help out those who buy their rifles based on articles in gun rags only to realize that ultra-velocity and ultra-flat trajectories means ultra-painful recoil and ultra-expensive ammo. I'm guessing that there was a significant percentage of RUM owners that shot half a box of ammo from their RUM and either sold it for a more rational cartridge, or just put it in the safe and went back to their ol' reliable 30-06 or .300 Win Mag. I can't imagine that anyone in their right mind would buy a .300 RUM with the intent of using reduced power ammo. That doesn't make much sense to me. But, then again, the .300 RuM doesn't make much sense to me either.

Mike